Thread: Dual Citizenship

Default Dual Citizenship

Hi im a malaysian passport holder and my wife is a philippines passport holder

my question is :-

1. Can malaysian passport holder hold dual citizeship? (malaysian/ new zealand)
    2. Can Philippines passport holder hold dual citizenship? ( Philippines/ new zealand)

thank you

Malaysia: No
    The Philippines: Yes

l00k tq by any chance your malaysian?

I wish I was.
    Malaysian citizens can travel to 164 countries in the world, ranking the Malaysian passport 12th in the world. This is almost as good as a New Zealand passport already.
    My passport, sadly, only allows me to travel to 47 countries in the world visa free.

By law, if you are a Malaysian (e.g. having M'sian passport), you can not hold the citizenship of another country. Having said that, personally I have seen people holding both M'sian and Australian passport.

If you search the Internet, people will advise you which passport to use when you leave a country (e.g. NZ) and enter Malaysia and vice versa so you don't get 'caught' by the immigration officer at the airport (KLIA or KLIA2) questioning you when you didn't have the record of disembarkation. Some actually suggest you if you are flying back, fly to a 3rd country (e.g. Singapore or Brunei), enter the country and then take the next flight (so that you have record of exiting the country) back to Malaysia.

The important thing is to only show one passport to the immigration officer when you enter Malaysia (if you are being questioned but nowadays Malaysian passport holders will go through the auto-gate to verify their identity). I have heard a story that the M'sian passport of someone was confiscated at the airport when s/he showed both passports to the immigration officer, so s/he lost the Malaysia's citizenship on the spot.