Thread: Rejection without even an interview?

Default Rejection without even an interview?

Hi newbie to the forum here as well as to NZ. I have a SMC JSV and have been here in AKL since the start of the year and have diligently been sending out my CV. There are times when the JD of a vacancy perfectly describes my previous work before coming here and I thought I have reflected that in my CV but much to my surprise, I often get rejected even before I've been called for an interview. It's certainly disconcerting to see it happen as I come/worked in 2 countries previously where an applicant doesn't get rejected before an initial interview (and we're not talking about a totally misaligned application of a sales person applying for a mechanical engineer role here). Sometimes the JD itself is (almost) a copy of the CV but still a rejection.

I heard that most (all?) agents here use resume scanning software. Is this true? And anyone has any CV format they can share that generated multiple calls?

Hi,

It depends... Some companies use agencies... others like to check every CV.

Maybe your CV is not reflecting what you are looking for... Sometimes is hard to know how, when or what!...

I applied to a job in seek webpage... and the same day I was contacted by HR... I am was offshore! Maybe your CV needs a twist...

Sometimes the company has already identified who they will hire but internal procedures require them to advertise the job...

Quote Originally Posted by myNZadventure View Post
    Hi newbie to the forum here as well as to NZ. I have a SMC JSV and have been here in AKL since the start of the year and have diligently been sending out my CV. There are times when the JD of a vacancy perfectly describes my previous work before coming here and I thought I have reflected that in my CV but much to my surprise, I often get rejected even before I've been called for an interview. It's certainly disconcerting to see it happen as I come/worked in 2 countries previously where an applicant doesn't get rejected before an initial interview (and we're not talking about a totally misaligned application of a sales person applying for a mechanical engineer role here). Sometimes the JD itself is (almost) a copy of the CV but still a rejection.

I heard that most (all?) agents here use resume scanning software. Is this true? And anyone has any CV format they can share that generated multiple calls?
    Always better to walk in and drop of your CV. Talk to the HR or the Manager when you drop your CV. Makes a lot of difference. When they see you in Person can make or break it for you.
    Talking from my experience of 6 years all the interviews and jobs I got all came from me walking in with my CV and presenting myself out there. It sure is Time consuming but it works.
    Good luck

Not being short listed for interview is nothing to worry about, it happens and is part of the job search. Your CV is probably missing that elusive characteristic called 'New Zealand Experience'. If there applicants with local experience available, who know how to do business in the local market, they will often get chose over a candidate who just 'stepped off the boat'. It is tough, but you just have to keep plugging away at it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I guess there's really not much of a choice except to keep slogging away at it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_5598 View Post
    Always better to walk in and drop of your CV. Talk to the HR or the Manager when you drop your CV. Makes a lot of difference. When they see you in Person can make or break it for you.
    Talking from my experience of 6 years all the interviews and jobs I got all came from me walking in with my CV and presenting myself out there. It sure is Time consuming but it works.
    Good luck
    Thank for this advise, mate...

Quote Originally Posted by myNZadventure View Post

Same situation here, worst in Christchurch as job opportunities is limited.

I cannot emphasise enough that it is who you know that gets you a job in New Zealand. You need to network network network. We took out a young chap recently returned from London last week and at the end of lunch had practically offered him a job. Go along to seminars, try to meet people in your industry, get a linkedin profile. Offer to take people out to coffee. It's how it works here. They'll even hire you if they like you even if you don't have all the requisite skills. Find a good recruiter if you can.