Thread: Teenagers Moving to New Zealand?

Default Teenagers Moving to New Zealand?

Hi
    I am an teenager who moved from the UK to NZ (Auckland) 1 year 4 months ago.
    For a school project I am wanting to put together a website that will answer question that teenagers may have about moving to New Zealand.
    If you are moving with a teen then I would like to know what information they need and what they are worried about so that I can include these topics on my website.
    There are lots of sites helping adults with information on houses, insurance, cost etc but nothing addressing the concerns of teens.
    Thanks for your help and hopefully will have useful resource for you all in a few months time.
    Cheers
    Lachlan

Is there wifi?

Probably need to address concerns about being cut off from friends etc.
    How to make friends - what opportunities are there for this? Sports, music etc? What do teenagers do in their free time?
    Education - school and exam system.
    Are exams and qualifications compatible and recognised by employers, units etc outside NZ?
    Further education opportunities
    Jobs - how to get a part-time job
    Jobs - how to get a job after school/uni - employment opportunities
    Shopping - clothes etc
    How can they access help specific to teenagers growing up (medical, info about alcohol, drugs etc)

Hope this is of help!

Hi Lachlan,
    Your project sounds like a smart idea...I'm sure you know things that were worrying you,since you moved recently...
    The things I think worries teens the most is(as girlwithnewf said) WIFI??, will they make new friendships easily,school system,language barriers,free time activites...
    I hope you'll keep us updated about the website
    Last edited by artenia; 4th May 2016 at 07:40 PM.

This is a great idea, it really helps make a daunting process easier knowing that someone else has gone through it and can provide some insights. This is especially true for teenagers, where the prospect is especially scary. Hopefully you'll have an update for us soon!

Thank you for your responses I am working on the website and hope to have it live in the next month. Keep the ideas coming.
    Thanks Lachlan (age 16).

Not a direct idea, but you may want to check out reddit.com/r/iwantout

This is a sub-reddit for people looking to move around the world. A lot of the people posting are younger, and there are regular posts from 17-20 year olds asking about New Zealand. Even if you don't get any ideas from the posts, it could be a good place to advertise your site once it is up.