Thread: NZ Schools

Question NZ Schools

We just got our AIP in April.
    Our son is 11 years old. I tried to apply integrated school for my son by sending the applications overseas with all necessary documents.
    Is it possible to get a seat by applying overseas?
    My son will finish his primary school in July 2016. Is it possible to start his school in year 7 term 4?
    Any comments on Elim Christian College vs Kingsway School?
    [/QUOTE]
    Thank you very much for your time and comments.

I suggest you email the preferred school - contact details will be on their website - and ask your questions to them. They are the people who know about their entry criteria, how full they are, etc..

In general, NZ school expect to talk to and do some work with an incoming foreign child, and base their placement of him/her in a year group on his/her knowledge as well as on the chronological age. Even when the same subjects appear on the curriculum of the foreign school and the NZ school, the elements of these can be taught in a different order and/or in a different way, so to begin with, the incoming child can find that the NZ classmates are just being taught certain things s/he learnt two years ago, and also that in another subject, s/he has none of the knowledge that the classmates are working ahead from. So there is always a time of adjustment to be expected, even if there is no language difference, and NZ schools are used to providing help with this.

Thanks, JanM.
    I did send them emails. Only one follow up reply. I then sent my questions again, no more reply then.
    I guess they only handle enrollment during enrollment period.
    Thank you very much for your reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I suggest you email the preferred school - contact details will be on their website - and ask your questions to them. They are the people who know about their entry criteria, how full they are, etc..

In general, NZ school expect to talk to and do some work with an incoming foreign child, and base their placement of him/her in a year group on his/her knowledge as well as on the chronological age. Even when the same subjects appear on the curriculum of the foreign school and the NZ school, the elements of these can be taught in a different order and/or in a different way, so to begin with, the incoming child can find that the NZ classmates are just being taught certain things s/he learnt two years ago, and also that in another subject, s/he has none of the knowledge that the classmates are working ahead from. So there is always a time of adjustment to be expected, even if there is no language difference, and NZ schools are used to providing help with this.

Most schools don't have an 'enrolment period' as such - a child who qualifies for entry and acceptance can be taken in at any point in the school year. It occurs to me that possibly they have a zone you need to live in, for your child to be taken, in which case they would need to see proof of your new address.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Most schools don't have an 'enrolment period' as such - a child who qualifies for entry and acceptance can be taken in at any point in the school year. It occurs to me that possibly they have a zone you need to live in, for your child to be taken, in which case they would need to see proof of your new address.
    Thanks, JandM
    Most of the public schools are zoned, you have to live in the zone to get into the school.
    However, there are private schools and integrated schools. They are not zoned. They have listed out their preference such as religious and other connections. The schools I applied are all non-zoned, so I don't have to provide address proof.
    Thanks a lot JanM.