Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dunedin vs Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Thanks, but this is the sort of thing that's easily checked on the internet, unlike comparisons of actually living in either city. ....... <snip lots of defensive rambling about university prestige>
    That said, my experience with both so far definitely pulls me toward Otago. If first impressions of the 'Enrolment Team' are anything to go by, Waikato would seem to be pretty disorganised. Just impressions, though.
    That's a long post to say you're not bothered about university rankings. Also, there are certainly politer ways to thank people for their opinions. It's fine if you don't go for that way of thinking and you're not planning a career in academia or in anything especially competitive; otherwise, although it's not the only consideration, the ranking of the university and its reputation among academics in the field does matter, particularly for research. It's not just snobbishness. It's about the quality of research produced, the academics working there, etc. I agree that the particular faculty/ department should probably be your main consideration when comparing universities of relatively equal standing. I would probably consider international ranking more important than the impression you get from the admin staff. But hey, whatever: you seem to know-it-all so good luck with that.

I maintain that there's not actually that much between Dunedin and Hamilton cities. That's not to say they are similar, just that both have pluses and minuses that make them about equal options, imo&e.

Hi all, I'm thinking of studying at Otago U next semester and would like to have a feel of cost of living there. Currently in Palmerston North and my power bill come up to almost $200/month. Given that Dunedin is much colder, how much more will electricity cost there? I used heating a lot coming from a equatorial country.

Hi there,

I joined this site JUST to reply to you! Feel lucky! I have lived in the US and the UK Auckland and Dunedin and also traveled heaps. Hand down choose Dunedin! There is only one pocket of Dunedin that is bassically all students and that's North Dunedin. Everywhere else is lovely! The people are so friendly and the city has tonnes to do and tonnes of character. The cost of living is was less and despite what people say the weather is actually pretty awesome! As long as your home get's sun in the winter it's really not that cold and most winter days are pretty sunny after about 10:30am. It's a lot less humid too so it feels warmer than the numbers indicate and conversely the summers are warm but not that hunid also so they are super nice. I'm a kiwi and I've been all over the country many times and although I was born and bred in Auckland I recently moved to Dunedin and I'm never moving anywhere else! This place rocks. Hamilton is the butt of jokes for a reason and unlike Dunedin where drinking cylture is concentrated in one spot in Hammy it's spread out and in most parts. Dunners is AMAZING for walks and bike riding and at night in the summer it doesn't get dark till like 9pm - so lots of outside time. We bost NZ's only two castles some of the best wildlife and great views of the Arora Australis! Also as it's NZ's oldest city some of the architecture is really pretty! Come to Dunedin! We have cool peeps. loads of culture and since Otago Uni is well respected. Also Dunedin is Australasia's only "Gigatown" which is important if you're studying. I really cannot reccomend Dunedin enough. The tron (Hamilton) is quite a bit more pricey and my impression is that crime is worse there overall and it's really only good if you're a closet bogan One last thing - the siteseeing in the South island is epic - it's quite amazing and all the coolest stuff is here. I really hope you choose Dunedin - I'm soooo glad I did!

Oh also Dunedin is crazy safe - people don't even lock their doors often. Since you are Canadian you might like to know it also has the biggest ice skating rink in Australasia. It has a few asian grocery stores too and I have't picked up on any racism at all. I do keep an eye out for it too. My observations having lived in Auckland and Dunedin is that parts of Auckland can be racist whereas that doesn't really happen down here. One of our most beloved Mayors was Chinese and I just don't get a racist vibe at all down here.

Hi Kenthen,

Well the sun sits lower in the sky in winter and as such you really need to choose a house that will still get decent sun in the morning and afternoon in Dunedin. Believe it or not that makes a HUGE difference. I bought a sun ap for my phone so that everytime i visited a place i'd know the deal with the sun. avoid the western part of north east valley as that get's no sun in winter. Insulation is important and definately definately opt for a brick and tile house as those trap in the heat better. A place which is brick insulated and get's some sun will keep power down. We use electrick kiwi for power and take full advantage of the one hour of free power they offer a day. hope that helps!

Hi,

We are about to move to Dunedin in a few months. Your post is very positive and insightful. Thank you for the heads up esp the tips about housing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234