Thread: Martinborough - info please

Default Martinborough - info please

Hi, can any one give us some info on Martinborough. e.g. Schools, housing, how long would it take to drive to Wellington, good shopping areas, how far to the coast any thing really................Ta ....David

No problem, as it happens I'm popping over there later for the sunday market.

Martinborough is a rather pretty little town, much like Greytown but with less antique shops and gift shops, and many more winerys

Its very popular as a "weekender" town, with 1 in 8 (gitting on towards 1 in 6) property being weekend homes, mainly for Welly-ites. This compares with about 1 in 12 in Greytown being weekend homes. This does mean that the town can be a bit "Quiet". Though ive been to Martinborough quite a bit now - Ive been twice when events are on - for a Food Fesitval in Feb/March and for Toast Martinbourough. At each of these evens - literally thoudands decend on the town. Its buzzy - a truly great atmosphere and very mellow.

However when Ive been there just to look around - its a different story. Its almost too quite (and thats coming from me - who thinks living in the middle of nowhere is a grand idea!). Theres not much in the way of shopping to be had - you would probably have to go to Masterton for your main shop - though Martinbororugh does a 4 Square I think for your bits and pieces. Fuel isnt a problem as there are 2 garages I can think of, and I know theres a Mitre 10 for hardware at least.

There is one major problem with Martinborough which needs to be considered very very carefully - there is no train line! If you want to commute to Welly - you are either going to have to drive all the way every day (and thats going to take probably 1hr 20mins (20 mins to Featherston Im guessing from memory). Or you have to still drive to Featherston to catch the train there. This makes it fine for some, but it appears to be a big reason for why its a major weekend home rather than a permanent home for lots of people.

It is a lovely place -and I really think its worth a look. Greytown may be a good alternative if the commute situation doesnt suit you - for my money 0 it offers all the "feel" of Martinborough - with knobs on, and is closer to the train line. And because Greytown is on SH2 - its a direct route to welly.

From Martinborough - its easy access to PAlliser Bay, Ngawi fishing village (the most Bizarre place I have yet seen), and Lake Ferry, all coastal. You cant swim there though as apparently the tides are very dangerous - but I hear its ok for surfing, and diving - please check this though. Its about 20 mintes to Palliser Bay. Also you can get to Riversdale beach - but I unless you go up to Masterton and then down - you do have a 45km unsealed road to travel - trust me - its bone jarring!

Housing did shoot up in price there a few years ago, but I understand its settling now, as the rest of the Wairarapa catches up to Martinboroughs popularity. There are some lovely properties to be had, though land is looking a bit pricey (some friends of our are looking at buying a large plot and theres a lot of pained intakes of breath over the pricing - may not be an issue if you are buying from UK £) Agin - it may be worth comparing what you can get for your $ in the rest of the region, rather than Martinborough.

Schools I really cant help with

Hope that helps.

As Avalon said...

My only point to add is that it also turns into a bit of a biker destination on a Weekend... No I'm not against that - in fact I am one, and it will be a great little round trip to do on a Sunday morning... It's just I'm not sure I would want to live there... 15-20 fat Harley Davidsons roaring into town every 20 minutes... Scaring the locals...

That's all...

I was just going to note the same thing - having gone there today - the martinbourugh hotel was packed with bikers!

And just to note - the market was hopeless - its held at the Village Cafe and consists of about 8 stalls, most of whome sell thier wares at the cafe anyway.

While on a trip to the wineries from Welli last week, my wife and I were commenting on how that road would be a fun ride...looks like there will be two more 'Sporties' in Martinborough now!

Now we just have to get them to NZ...

Martinborugh does have a primary school and a kindergarten. But if you've got teenage kids they'll have to travel up to Greytown to Kurani or Masterton to the secondary schools.

It is very quiet there. I've been several times during the week and sometimes there isn't another person about. It does have a great butchers, cafes, supermarket and of course wineries.

If you don't mind tourists descending most weekend then it's definitely worth looking into.

Thanks for all the info folk. We live 10mins from Scarborough at the moment so are well used to quiet (the sea side town they forgot to close down!).
    Will take your advise Avalon and look at other towns in the area as well.
    Cheers for the feed back.............David