Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough idea of cost of a 20ft container UK to NZ

Ask them how that breaks down and if they can reduce any part of it, pointing out figures that seem high. Above all, get other quotes and compare.

I'm currently in the process of getting prices to move from UK to NZ, the beat price i've had is from Movecorp for £1795 (contents of 2 bed house). With PSS at first quoting £2366 and then lowering to £2144 after telling them about my £1795 quote. I've just offered to do the packing and supply packing materials myself to see if i can shave more off that too. This is for 455 cubic feet in a shared container - which i hope is enough.
    Those prices are without insurance so will need to look into that too.

Be careful. Don't forget there is the issue of insuring your goods inside the container while in transit. Some insurance policies won't cover it if the customer has packed it. Make sure you read all the small print.

And bear in mind that the insurance offered by the company is not necessarily the best. Many people on the forum have recommended Letton Percival.

PSS will insure if i've packed myself at 3.5% of total value according to their website.

Shipment Protection cover against the risks of loss or damage is subject to our Terms and Conditions as printed on the reverse of the enclosed Valuation Form. The rate is 3% of the value declared by you on our valuation form (Self Pack 3.5%, Motor Vehicles 2.0%)
    I will however consider other options as you've stated, i will check out Letton Percival

Obviously depends on how much you have, whether your house is easy to move stuff in and out of etc but don't underestimate the time, effort and cost of packing your things yourself. Export packing involves a huge amount of materials - all furniture is completely wrapped in bubble packaging and taped up for example and plates, cups etc get wrapped in paper then with cardboard round each item.
    Make sure you check who the company deals with to do your move at the other end too.

Hi! It's been recommended I use a NZ moving company. Any good ones?

Are you in N.Ireland? Probably best to find a removal company there who deal with international moves, they will either do the move in NZ themselves within their company or have a company they work with in NZ. You don't need to contact a NZ company yourself when you move to NZ. Hope I understood your situation correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomingtilly View Post
    Hi! It's been recommended I use a NZ moving company. Any good ones?
    I used Transworld NZ and they were quite professional until now. They had used a partner company @ Singapore to pack/move my stuff and they did the pack/move under 4 hrs for a 20ft container. it took them a week to load the container to ship and 2 weeks to reach auckland from Singapore. I will keep you posted if they slip up in their service level until the goods the delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    I used Transworld NZ and they were quite professional until now. They had used a partner company @ Singapore to pack/move my stuff and they did the pack/move under 4 hrs for a 20ft container. it took them a week to load the container to ship and 2 weeks to reach auckland from Singapore. I will keep you posted if they slip up in their service level until the goods the delivered.
    Hi nms.sun3

Have you received your goods already? Everything went well with Transworld? Any additional costs appeared at the end?
    I’m asking for quotes and would like to know more about the moving cpy you used.

Thks
    Nelson

I used Simpson's. What they packed broke and what I packed survived. Insurance cover was vague and we couldn't claim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12