Thread: Aus Citizen - South African Partner

Default Aus Citizen - South African Partner

Hello there,

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I am hoping to get some advice on applying for a Partnership Based Temporary Work Visa for my partner.

I am an Australian citizen by birth.

My partner is South African - in Australia now on a 3 month tourist visa.

I am looking to move to New Zealand to live and work. My partner would like to live and work there with me.

We have been living together since March 22 (will be a total of 3 months when his visa expires in June - we have traveled for a further 2 months together in Nov 15-Jan 16). We have evidence to show this - although is at my parents house.

Questions:

Can we apply for a partnership based temp work visa in Aus before we leave?

If not - can he travel to NZ with a tourist visa on arrival (visa waiver), stating that he is there to "look,see and discover NZ" then apply onshore in NZ? Or should we apply for a tourist visa prior to leaving?

Do I need to be settled in NZ with a residence to apply?

I am sure that I will have more questions once you advise me of these ones.

Thank you!

Steph

He will need to show evidence that he has set himself up in NZ, such as evidence of moving all his things there and/or securing a job. Partnership based visas are only granted when immigration NZ can see that the supporting partner is based in NZ and will remain in NZ

This thread was about people in a somewhat similar situation to you, and goes into a lot of the details. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43172

Please notice my point in post #10 over there - in some cases, people HAVE been allowed to sponsor their foreign partner even before they moved.

Thank you both,

I am just wondering for the Partnership Based Temporary Visa (Not Residence) - Do I as an Australian Citizen still have to prove I have a residence there to apply? We were hoping to travel and work at the same time - so difficult to have a fixed address. I will be working there and intending to stay there, I will open a bank account and apply for IRD number. I have no residence here in Australia and have quit my job here.

We can prove living together and genuine relationship up until now.

Is this possible or do I need to be in one place and have a lease, power bills etc?

Thank you,

Steph

Like I said, look at my post #10 on that other thread. The person referred to contacted INZ, explaining they were going to be settling (and presumably having some proof of their intentions), and were allowed to apply and get the visa BEFORE travelling. There is no certainty you will be allowed, but it seems it is worth asking.