Thread: NZ podcasts?

Default NZ podcasts?

Are any of you podcast listeners?

I tend to listen to them when at home - usually while cooking, cleaning, vacuuming, especially cooking. For the better part of a year I think I've listened to some of the NZ news in 'RNZ: Bist of the Week' (got my first introduction to 'Kia ora' this way).

There are several others: RNZ Chickpoint, RNZ Our Changing World, I've hear a bit of. Also My Kiwi Life.

The NZ news is somewhat reminiscent of CBC in Canada to me, quite a local bent sometimes reflecting the size of the country, and people sound a bit more authentic than your Trump-types, etc. Too many helicopter crashes, Auckland property prices, the problems with cattle farming, an unusual whale somewhere off the coast, notable media resignations.... Took me a while to get into it because I needed to know a little more about the country first, but it is helping me learn and I think will be a nice aid in the long run. Actually, thinking here I think it's helped a lot. The accints are interesting too, of course, and some of the local lingo, although I think like with the CBC this can be toned down to some extent.

Does anyone else do the same? Any other recs?

I can handle and enjoy news and profiles. Sports would be good, but the world of local rugby and cricket would just be too foreign to me at this point; I'll stick with my soccer/football for now.

Chickpoint = checkpoint
    Kiwi accent

You need to watch out for the chicken disc at the airport! (Check-in desk.)

I always enjoyed this thread. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30160

And there are more that will probably be of interest, too. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz.org+Kiwi+accent

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Chickpoint = checkpoint
    Kiwi accent
    Sorry, intintional mispilling, couldn't resist. And I guess Chickpoint would sound like a very different podcast than Checkpoint, too.

As for chicken discs, this one isn't bad below but it's not something that would naturally come to mind in the Departures section of an airport, apart maybe from the 'running' bit if you're running a bit late:

Last edited by Asteger; 10th May 2016 at 12:46 PM.

... J&M - thanks for the accent info. Was funny, as last week I phoned NZ and even had trouble understanding a URL a guy was spelling to me over the phone. Lord knows how people manage with the 'ABC Song' down there.

Luckily it's not that new to me. I've long known my first name would be mis-pronounced 'Kivin' and was reminded when an ex-NZ colleague named Nic constantly called me that. I just got my revenge by calling her 'Neck'.

We saw that film the day it came out in England, in company with our son and Kiwi d-i-l. We were laughing about it as we came out of the cinema, and our d-i-l said, 'Chuckens wuth tith...' So we always remember that with a smile, if ever this film comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    ... our d-i-l said, 'Chuckens wuth tith...' So we always remember that with a smile, if ever this film comes to mind.
    Nice. I have more trouble imaging the i>u switch than the Kev>Kiv one. Makes me imagine Scottish or N.Irish instead.

I had another phone call where they confirmed my name. My last name's Dutch and confuses most people, but that's not what caught my attention when the NZer said, '... Kivin V@#!&* ... Is that it?' of course I knew what she meant but couldn't resist responding, 'Well no, actually. My first name's Kevin'.

I really love podcasts. I find RNZ to be similar to NPR. The podcasts are well produced, edited, and researched radio shows. Mediawatch is on my must listen weekly list.

Talking Books by NZ Book Council is varied and interesting if you are literary minded.

The Worst Idea of All Time is a podcast by two kiwi comedians. It's definitely not for everyone, very sweary, and not one you can just listen to randomly. You kind of have to slog through from beginning for it to make sense. It's cringey at times but I love it. There are quite a few kiwi comedian podcasts that are fun if not regular listening.

Anatomy of a song is a podcast where NZ musicians breakdown how they make a popular song.

Paper Radio is a story podcast from Australia and New Zealand. They are creatively produced stories, some fiction and some non-fiction.

As to the accent, I find that people often don't understand me at first because of my accent. I have to repeat myself EVERY time if I ask a question to a stranger. I finally understand what my Kiwi husband experienced living in the states.

Thanks for the recs, k-eagle. I've added Mediawatch and Worst Idea to start with.