Thread: Kenyan Friend Wants To Work In NZ For 1 Year

Smile Kenyan Friend Wants To Work In NZ For 1 Year

Dear Team,

This is my first post here, so Hello to all.

We wanted to find out the best way that my Kenyan friend could visit NZ and possibly work here for up to 1 year. We became friends after completing MT Kilimanjaro, since then I have assisted as a partner in his small tourism business. To better equip his business and provide some further skills, he wanted to come out and possibly work in the Tourism sector. In the future we would hope to get more Kenyans visiting NZ and vice Versa.

I checked the categories where the work may be required, Recreation, hospitality & tourism & Construction this is based in Canterbury, simply as in the beginning we would host my friend in our house and provide some security for him. There has been some comments regarding getting him here on a holiday visa and then securing a position, however I wanted to clarify this, as we do not want to break any rules in regards to the conditions laid out of a visitor visa.

Finally we do understand, there are medical records and conditions to be met by an approved medical practitioner in the home country and the requirement of having a return ticket.

Any further guides or information would be useful. I have made contact with an immigration lawyer, however cannot afford to go down this path, and are prepared to do the legwork ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

This http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...20June2014.pdf is the ruling which allows someone to enter as a visitor, with the idea of trying to get a job.

Notice, he could not start work unless he was offered a job which meets the requirements for the grant of a temporary work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/ He would not be able to take any job for which there are considered to be NZ nationals or residence holders available in the area to do the work - this usually means that low-skilled jobs are not a route to a work visa for any foreign visitor. If he has some qualifications or work experience that mean he would be eligible and interesting to an employer for a higher skilled job, then there is a good chance.

But he would very likely get a visitor's visa in the first place, which would give him a chance to look around, see the country, and meet people in the industry at least, whether or not he could get a job, and therefore a visa, to stay on for a full year.

Hi JandM,

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

From my experience in the UK, I know they were very strict, nice to know we are actually trying to give people options.

Take care,

Greg
    Last edited by gmannz; 26th May 2016 at 01:42 PM.