Thread: Partnership Study Woes

Default Partnership Study Woes

Hi everyone,

I have been living in New Zealand for the past 4.5 years, the past 4 with my NZ Partner. I came on a working holiday visa from the UK, 11 months which I then extended to 23 Months. After that I applied for a Partnership Work Visa and was granted 1 year.

I then applied and was accepted for a Student Visa to undertake a 5-month course, at my own expense (international fees). After this ended I applied once again for a Partnership Work Visa and was granted a 2-Year Visa, ending December 2016.

I have applied and been accepted on a higher education course back in the UK, and was planning to move with my partner, except now he has told me he is too afraid to move to the UK, and isn't willing to join me. He doesn't want the relationship to end.

I feel like if I apply for residency here and wait for two years to be able to be funded for a loan, I could already be two years into a degree back home. I'm keen to go anyway, but I'm worried that this will basically make it impossible for me to return to New Zealand, even if he comes to visit for 5-month bursts, our relationship will no longer be recognised as "genuine and stable". I don't want to feel like that in order to be accepted as a New Zealand resident, I basically have to adapt to the fact that he won't support me in my studies and stay in backcountry New Zealand until I am a permanent resident.

I feel a bit stuck. Has anyone got any advice?

Warm regards

Sounds quite fundamental really and make or break time for your relationship.
    Just a couple of things - I assume you are aware of the costs of your degree in the UK and that after 4+ years away you need to pay international fees.
    Also, what is your partner afraid of in the UK?

As the previous poster said, that sounds like far more than a visa question.

Also, as said above, a degree in NZ as an international student isn't more expensive than a degree in the UK as an international student. Or is the issue that you could get a loan here in the UK but not over there (no idea if you could, but wondering how studying in the UK is less expensive than in NZ, as it seems quite costly here).

Seems like the questions you are facing are quite tough and with far reaching consequences. Good luck!