Thread: Need advice on a job offer

Default Need advice on a job offer

I recently received an offer to work as a software developer in New Zealand. The company have some offices around the country but I think I'll be assigned to their Auckland office if I sign up. I'm just not sure if I should agree to it, or I should try negotiating. I'd also like to understand how much it would take for me to live comfortably there.

First let's talk about the offer. I've been working as a Java developer for around 8 years now. I think my resume isn't mind blowing but my potential employers seemed impressed with me during my interview with them. However, they're offering me just NZD67,000, which I think is below the average rate for intermediate developers in there. I'm quite a frugal person (I think) and somehow I feel like the offer is pretty fair if I really want to move to NZ, however, for the sake of future prospects, I'm considering negotiating for a rate that's within the average, which I think is around NZD73,000-75,000. I hope you can give me some advice on this.

Another thing is the cost of living. I've known for a while that it's quite expensive living around that part of the southern hemisphere, but I'm not sure exactly how expensive it can be. The thing I'm most concerned about right now is housing. I'm an introvert who doesn't really like to share space as much as possible so I'm thinking about getting a 1 bedroom unit. However, based on my initial Web searches, it will cost me around NZD1,400 a month. My net income would be only around NZD3,700 a month if I accepted the offer as it is, which means I'd only have NZD2,300 for other expenses (and savings). How far will that get me? The company told me they can arrange a space for me for around NZD1,080 a month, which I think already includes utilities, so that's the more practical choice of course, but I will have to share with other people.

I hope you can enlighten me on these matters. Thanks.

Will you be happy with 67k as a Java developer with 8 years experience?
    After tax and 3% kiwisaver, it will be about $51k. That's a weekly take home pay of $979.

If you're from a country whose currency is smaller than the NZD, please do not convert. Living in NZ, especially Auckland, is VERY expensive.

So, is NZD979 a week not enough to be "happy"? By the way, can you share why you moved from MY/SG to NZ?
    Last edited by extra_rice; 16th May 2016 at 08:57 PM.

You will be all good mate! Hop on to a plane and come here. Sweet as.

Quote Originally Posted by extra_rice View Post
    So, is NZD979 a week not enough to be "happy"? By the way, can you share why you moved from MY/SG to NZ?
    I won't value quality of life by money only. Otherwise I won't make the move from Hong Kong to NZ.
    Hong Kong offers higher payment, lower tax rates, cheaper daily products...
    Very high ranking in global universities...
    However, I want to live a better life, a healthy and huamane lifestyle.

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to turn down the offer not because of how much money they were offering but because there's a more promising position elsewhere. Like most of you, I'm also drawn to the promise of a balanced lifestyle in NZ, and that's one of things I regret when I turned down the offer. However, I feel like I'm in this point in my career where I'm more concerned about developing my expertise, and there were so many questions if the company can offer me that.

Good on ya, Extra_rice!

To answer your earlier question, you can be happy with 979/week but after knowing that people who have the same qual and skills earn more, will you still be happy?

Working in NZ is mostly better in work-life balance that's true. At the same time, I also believe it's important to have an opportunity to be good at what you do (and continuous improvement like you said) and being paid well for it.

And your other question, why did I move here? Push and pull factor... I was out of job in Singapore and there was a job up in NZ. I was also tired of the rat race in Singapore and not being able to afford decent living. In NZ, in the beginning it was not easy as comes with most migration, but we're more settled now and the quality of life is much better.
    Last edited by breeze; 17th May 2016 at 10:03 AM.

Very good, extra_rice
    Follow your heart. All the best!!

Good luck! Adventure awaits to be sure...