Thread: Moving to Auckland; seeking advice for Budget + Temporary Accomodation + Used Car for family of 3

Default Moving to Auckland; seeking advice for Budget + Temporary Accomodation + Used Car for family of 3

Dear everyone

We are moving from Singapore to Auckland with residence visa ( SMC).

We will be based in Auckland since my wife need to complete her Nursing CAP program for two months at Mount Eden Road( close to New Market).
    This course costs around $8000 NZ dollars, after which she will be able to work as a Nurse.

I am in IT ( web developer ), I will start job search once I am in Auckland ( as only face to face interviews work in NZ).

We have a 3 year old daughter, and would like to enroll her for Early Childhood Education.

We are thinking of an economic temporary accommodation initially for 2 to 3 months.
    Do you have any suggestions for temporary accommodation? We are fine to travel up to 25 KM as we will buy a car. What areas in Auckland should I be looking at?
    I am considering Airbnb.com

After landing in Auckland, we will buy an old car within a day or two; budget for that is max $3000 NZD. Car is for dropping wife at CAP study center, and my job search, and dropping daughter at school etc etc.

Assuming that one of us get a job after 4 months from the day of landing, how much $$ NZD should I carry before traveling to Auckland?

I Appreciate you valuable suggestions, experiences and responses.

Thank you.

You can look into airbnb, trademe, holiday homes, service apartments etc for short-term furnished stays for 2-3 months. I would estimate an average of $600 p/w for it and you also need to check if that includes water and electricity.

Where you stay depends entirely on what you are looking for in a suburb. Easy access to the city, or good pre-schools, amenities, beaches, parks etc and there are many good suburbs to choose from to rent for the short-term or long-term. There are several furnished and unfurnished rentals in Newmarket namely apartments which also provide car parking and still a short bus ride too your wife's campus. Not too many kindergartens in that area and there is that usual long wait list but there are private childcare options which are more expensive but doable with your free 20 hours ECE.

Outside of the city, you will face traffic issues during peak hours if you travel from the suburbs. But there are advantages of living in the suburbs of course. It is quieter, less people, more community. One reason we loved to stay on the North Shore (despite the traffic) is the access to better beaches, parks and schools on the coast, plenty of good sun still quite a range of food and amenities near our suburbs.

I think in the short term for 3 months, you will be spending a fair bit because you have a lot of initial start-up spending including a car. A car in the $3K range would be an older nearly or past 10 year old vehicle with a fair bit of mileage. Spend about $5K and more and you get a slightly newer and lower mileage car which may in the end, work out to about the same cost if you include maintenance.

Hi when will you be coming over? I recommand Te Atatu Peninsula. I have a car to sell, pm if you are interested

The cheaper accommodation in Auckland is south and west of the city. However some of the neighbourhoods there can get pretty dodgy, so check a place out before committing to it.

2-3 months is considered 'semi-long term' accommodation in Auckland. There are some apartments that allow tenants with a minimum stay of 1 month, so I'd recommend looking for those as you will get better value for your money there than in airbnb or a hostel.

Thank you very much batgirl1001 for the very detailed and descriptive information regarding the accommodation, areas and old car . Really appreciate the time you took to write this.

Now, I have raised the budget for old car to 5K , and really need a reliable one.
    I hope a Toyota one will be better in terms of reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    You can look into airbnb, trademe, holiday homes, service apartments etc for short-term furnished stays for 2-3 months. I would estimate an average of $600 p/w for it and you also need to check if that includes water and electricity.

Where you stay depends entirely on what you are looking for in a suburb. Easy access to the city, or good pre-schools, amenities, beaches, parks etc and there are many good suburbs to choose from to rent for the short-term or long-term. There are several furnished and unfurnished rentals in Newmarket namely apartments which also provide car parking and still a short bus ride too your wife's campus. Not too many kindergartens in that area and there is that usual long wait list but there are private childcare options which are more expensive but doable with your free 20 hours ECE.

Outside of the city, you will face traffic issues during peak hours if you travel from the suburbs. But there are advantages of living in the suburbs of course. It is quieter, less people, more community. One reason we loved to stay on the North Shore (despite the traffic) is the access to better beaches, parks and schools on the coast, plenty of good sun still quite a range of food and amenities near our suburbs.

I think in the short term for 3 months, you will be spending a fair bit because you have a lot of initial start-up spending including a car. A car in the $3K range would be an older nearly or past 10 year old vehicle with a fair bit of mileage. Spend about $5K and more and you get a slightly newer and lower mileage car which may in the end, work out to about the same cost if you include maintenance.

Hi Singapura Cat, I will be coming by end of this year, the dates are not yet confirmed.
    Thank you for suggesting Te Atatu Peninsula, and I am looking at the area, and I have also PMed you.

Hi Elliana, thank you very much for the kind reply and the suggestion regarding West or South Auckland. I did a search and it is true , rentals are cheaper than North or East Auckland.

Could you please let me know how to find those apartments which requires minimum stay of 1 month? Is it via TradeMe or RealEstate.co.nz?

If you are looking for apartments, you will find that most of the listings are within the city area of Auckland. Many would be within CBD. Rarely will you find them in the suburbs.

And unfortunately listings on trademe or realestate will only respond to you more or less when you arrive in NZ. If you get a poor response, don't be disheartened, just make temporary accommodations arrangement (stay in a hotel, motel, apartment hotel etc) and begin your search once you arrived.

The one other thing, is if you get an apartment in the CBD, parking might not be included.

Thanks a lot batgirl1001 for the great response.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    If you are looking for apartments, you will find that most of the listings are within the city area of Auckland. Many would be within CBD. Rarely will you find them in the suburbs.

And unfortunately listings on trademe or realestate will only respond to you more or less when you arrive in NZ. If you get a poor response, don't be disheartened, just make temporary accommodations arrangement (stay in a hotel, motel, apartment hotel etc) and begin your search once you arrived.

The one other thing, is if you get an apartment in the CBD, parking might not be included.