Thread: NZQA double degrees

Default NZQA double degrees

EOI is selected.

In my EOI application, I have written two bachelor degrees BS Computer Engineering, BS Electronics & Communication Engineering.
    My work experience is software programming for 10+ years.

It appears that only the BS Computer Engineering is closely related to my work experience.

For my NZQA application, can I include only the BS Computer Engineering?
    My worries is that if I include both I may get generic result for BS Electronics & Communications Engineering.

Hoping someone can suggest or has experienced the scenario above.

You don't need to include on your EOI any qualification that is not relevant to your present work (as long as you don't need the points, e.g. a Master's, even if unrelated, could give you an extra 10 points).

However, if you send both your bachelor's degrees to NZQA, whatever they find when looking at one degree will not affect what they find when looking at the other. Many people have had a specific outcome on one degree and a generic outcome on the other - it's all clearly set out when the IQA comes back.

In each case, NZQA state the NZ level of the foreign qualification, e.g. usually, a bachelor's is Level 7.

Then, if they can see that the content and depth of what has been studied is similar to a NZ degree programme that is running at the moment, they state, 'comparable to a (whatever it is)'. And that is a specific outcome.

If there is NO NZ degree programme running at the moment with similar content, they state that this is e.g. a bachelor's degree, but they don't have anything they can say it is comparable with. And that is a generic outcome. (A generic outcome is no disrespect to the foreign qualification - it is just that there is nothing quite like it running in NZ at the moment.)

Thank you JandM for the detailed guidance.
    If NZQA find the first qualification as specific outcome
    while the other qualification as generic outcome.
    My worries is that they would need IPENZ letter.

Since there is an 'engineering' angle to your qualification, it is very likely that you will be told you have to refer to IPENZ, I'm afraid. It seems that NZQA have been instructed to do this, in the last six months or so. But it's nothing to do with the quality of your degree.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Since there is an 'engineering' angle to your qualification, it is very likely that you will be told you have to refer to IPENZ, I'm afraid. It seems that NZQA have been instructed to do this, in the last six months or so. But it's nothing to do with the quality of your degree.
    Thanks JandM. Appreciate it. That clear things up.