Thread: Residence Partnership Category - processing times & limitations

Thumbs up Residence Partnership Category - processing times & limitations

Hi There,

I am a British citizen currently in NZ with my Kiwi (de facto) partner of 9 years who has moved back for the family business. We have previously been living in the UK, Australia (where I was granted a 5 year defacto visa) and Sri Lanka and are now settling in Nelson.

My residency visa was sent to the Christchurch office on 10th April 2016 and I received and email from the office saying the application had been lodged on 21/04/2016. Based on this I have a few questions

1. Can anybody give me an idea of processing times at the CHC office? How long to get a case officer and then how long until a decision is made?

2. I am still within the age to be able to apply for a holiday working visa. Are you able to apply for this while waiting on residency? Obviously I am currently unable to work and if the residency is going to take months this is a one solution.

3. If I have to travel , can I request my passport be returned?

Thanks for your help.

1. The new INZ website does not seem to be making estimates for individual branches, but this is their general processing times page. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...sa-application

2. I think so, but I'm not sure that you can apply while in NZ. You as a UK citizen could apply for an extension to an existing WHV from NZ, but I can't find any mention of making the first application while there. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...g-holiday-visa You might need to check this with INZ themselves.

3. Yes - just ask, and they will let you have it back. Obviously, you would then have to send it back in for the visa label to be stuck into it.

Thanks for your help!