Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPENZ KA01 or KA02?

I am not able to view your attachments. You can try KA01 assessment first, if you are lucky, you can get through otherwise you will need to proceed with KA02. There's nothing much to lose if you do KA01 first.

Hi Soonkoh,

I writing to know your opinion on the following.

1) I assessed the B.Sc(Honours) Electrical engineering degree from NZQA - Level 7 - graduated 2008

2) M.Sc Enterprise Software Engineering degree from NZQA - Level 9 - graduated 2010

NZQA asked me to assess with IPENZ for bonus points.

No 1 was mentioned under IESL (washington accord, 2014)

No 2 was mentioned under Engineering council UK(signatory washington accord-1989)

However , I have applied for KA01 and the fee has been deducted from my credit card by yesterday(13/09/2016). Lets see their response.

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    Hi Soonkoh,

I writing to know your opinion on the following.

1) I assessed the B.Sc(Honours) Electrical engineering degree from NZQA - Level 7 - graduated 2008

2) M.Sc Enterprise Software Engineering degree from NZQA - Level 9 - graduated 2010

NZQA asked me to assess with IPENZ for bonus points.

No 1 was mentioned under IESL (washington accord, 2014)

No 2 was mentioned under Engineering council UK(signatory washington accord-1989)

However , I have applied for KA01 and the fee has been deducted from my credit card by yesterday(13/09/2016). Lets see their response.
    Hi Raghu,
    I Wish you good luck with your application. Im also having almost similar qualification and facing same kind of situation as your's. Mine is B.Sc(Honours) Computer Science and Engineering from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. 2005 intake and assessed at NZQA - Level 7. Did you communicate with IPENZ clearly on this matter prior to applying KA01 ? Any signs of getting thorough this by KA01. Thank you.

hi soonkoh,

I had got my IQA report that my degree qualification is "Qualification" Level 7.
    I send email to ipenz@ipenz.org.nz ask about to apply KA01 or KA02, and she asked me to send my qualification award to her, then i sent.
    After that i get replied from Brittany Brack:

[If you have or are about to submit an expression of interest with NZ Immigration and require a letter from IPENZ regarding your qualifications meeting the requirements to Chartered Professional Engineer, and your engineering qualifications are not and cannot be given Washington Accord status, we would advise that it will be necessary for you to go through the KA02 Knowledge Assessment avenue.

It would be through this process you can use a combination of evidence of academic study and knowledge and skills gained in the workforce to demonstrate that you have (and can apply) a level of engineering knowledge equivalent to that gained through a Washington Accord degree.

Therefore we will need you to complete the KA01 ... "The rest is same as your previous "

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact Michele Boniface, Membership Manager (membership@ipenz.org.nz).]

*Michele Boniface is the one was asking you to apply KA02?

Will them check the qualification title or with the type to match the http://www.ieagreements.org/Washingt...Accredited.cfm

You were asked to do KA01 only or you just straight proceed it without proceed the KA02?
    I am confusing about it, because spend to much on it already, if go to KA02 will spend more and may not that easy to get a positive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdkiwi View Post
    hi soonkoh,

I had got my IQA report that my degree qualification is "Qualification" Level 7.
    I send email to ipenz@ipenz.org.nz ask about to apply KA01 or KA02, and she asked me to send my qualification award to her, then i sent.
    After that i get replied from Brittany Brack:

[If you have or are about to submit an expression of interest with NZ Immigration and require a letter from IPENZ regarding your qualifications meeting the requirements to Chartered Professional Engineer, and your engineering qualifications are not and cannot be given Washington Accord status, we would advise that it will be necessary for you to go through the KA02 Knowledge Assessment avenue.

It would be through this process you can use a combination of evidence of academic study and knowledge and skills gained in the workforce to demonstrate that you have (and can apply) a level of engineering knowledge equivalent to that gained through a Washington Accord degree.

Therefore we will need you to complete the KA01 ... "The rest is same as your previous "

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact Michele Boniface, Membership Manager (membership@ipenz.org.nz).]

*Michele Boniface is the one was asking you to apply KA02?

Will them check the qualification title or with the type to match the http://www.ieagreements.org/Washingt...Accredited.cfm

You were asked to do KA01 only or you just straight proceed it without proceed the KA02?
    I am confusing about it, because spend to much on it already, if go to KA02 will spend more and may not that easy to get a positive outcome.
    I did my KA01 (which is a simple form for you to fill up) first and got the letter from IPENZ. I would need to proceed with KA02 if KA01's outcome was negative.

It is either you do KA01 and obtain the letter or you do KA01+KA02 to get the letter. Even if IPENZ says that you need to do KA02 (if your degree is not Washington Accord's), you will still need to fill up KA01 form and pay a sum money of KA01 fee + KA02 fee.

Example:
    KA01 fee = $50 (this is not the exact fee, jst example)
    KA02 fee = $150 (this is not the exact fee, jst example)

Scenario A
    If you do KA01 and you get positive outcome, all you paid is $50

Scenario B
    If you are asked to do KA02 directly, you need to pay $200 because you need to pay to process KA01 form and KA02 form.

Scenario C
    If you do KA01 and you get negative outcome, you paid $50
    Then, you decided to proceed with KA02, you pay $150. So, the total fee is $200.

Scenario D
    If you do KA01 and you get negative outcome and you have decided not to do KA02, all you paid is $50.

You can try your luck by doing KA01 first and when the outcome happens to be negative, then you proceed with KA02. If you think KA02 is too risky and chances that you will get a positive outcome is close to none, then you might need to stop your EOI/ITA process.

As Soonkoh explained, IPENZ is a 2step process.

Well done Soonkoh. very good and clearly summary of IPENZ process.

Quote Originally Posted by soonkoh View Post
    I did my KA01 (which is a simple form for you to fill up) first and got the letter from IPENZ. I would need to proceed with KA02 if KA01's outcome was negative.

It is either you do KA01 and obtain the letter or you do KA01+KA02 to get the letter. Even if IPENZ says that you need to do KA02 (if your degree is not Washington Accord's), you will still need to fill up KA01 form and pay a sum money of KA01 fee + KA02 fee.

Example:
    KA01 fee = $50 (this is not the exact fee, jst example)
    KA02 fee = $150 (this is not the exact fee, jst example)

Scenario A
    If you do KA01 and you get positive outcome, all you paid is $50

Scenario B
    If you are asked to do KA02 directly, you need to pay $200 because you need to pay to process KA01 form and KA02 form.

Scenario C
    If you do KA01 and you get negative outcome, you paid $50
    Then, you decided to proceed with KA02, you pay $150. So, the total fee is $200.

Scenario D
    If you do KA01 and you get negative outcome and you have decided not to do KA02, all you paid is $50.

You can try your luck by doing KA01 first and when the outcome happens to be negative, then you proceed with KA02. If you think KA02 is too risky and chances that you will get a positive outcome is close to none, then you might need to stop your EOI/ITA process.

Because i was granted to direct entry final year of Bachelor of Engineering programme based on my Diploma in Electronic Engineering so i only studied one year to get award of Bachelor, and my IQA report in [Standard Programme Duration] column wrote: 3 years full time (See comment)

Comments
    Xxxxxxx University granted XXX direct entry final year of Bachelor of Engineering programme based on his Diploma in Electronic Engineering
    In New Zealand, professional registration is determined by the relevant professional body.

So when i fill up the KA01 [Length of qualification (years)] should write 1 or 3? Any idea?
    Should i just include the certified copy of academic qualification or need to include the transcript of learning and achievement?

If I were in your situation I would definitely write the exact number of years I spend to obtain the qualification, and include both certified copies of the academic qualification and the transcript.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdkiwi View Post
    Because i was granted to direct entry final year of Bachelor of Engineering programme based on my Diploma in Electronic Engineering so i only studied one year to get award of Bachelor, and my IQA report in [Standard Programme Duration] column wrote: 3 years full time (See comment)

Comments
    Xxxxxxx University granted XXX direct entry final year of Bachelor of Engineering programme based on his Diploma in Electronic Engineering
    In New Zealand, professional registration is determined by the relevant professional body.

So when i fill up the KA01 [Length of qualification (years)] should write 1 or 3? Any idea?
    Should i just include the certified copy of academic qualification or need to include the transcript of learning and achievement?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12