Thread: Future implications of being refused entry to NZ

Default Future implications of being refused entry to NZ

Hello

I am writing this in a real state of panic so please bear with me...

Background - I am a SEA citizen working in a respectable MNC with healthy business/holiday travel experience and clean slate - no record whatsoever

I was refused entry to NZ at Queenstown airport for possessing a small amount of cannabis (dont ask why, it was my own pure stupidity which I will forever repent. Also I am not a regular user) I was pre-charged by the NZ police and given a warning. I spent a night at the airport and was arranged the earliest flight back to my country of origin(on their expense)

I am now freaking out about the implications this would have on my future travels. I regularly travel to countries like Singapore and Japan, and will be going to Europe for the first time this year. I usually never get any questions at immigration but now I am really worried about the possible outcomes. I also cannot, in no condition, let my company or parents know about this incident.Although NZ/Aus said I can reapply for their visa given I apply for a character waiver (not sure what this is either)

Has anybody ever encountered a similar experience? What do you recommend my next steps be? How should I answer future visa applications and interview questions?

Thank you very much in advance. Your words could potentially help me sleep sounder tonight

VS123
    Last edited by VS123; 18th May 2016 at 01:39 AM.

You are going to have to declare this on all future applications for visas, for any country. As that is the case, it's quite possible that your family and employer will find out that you have a problem.

In the case of NZ, since the authorities have said that you may be admissible with a character waiver, it sounds as though they will quite likely admit you. (Australia has different laws, so I'm not understanding why you linked them. Anyway...)

If someone is known to have committed a certain level of offence, such as you did in attempting to take cannabis into the country, then INZ can require them to apply for a character waiver. That is done by the person writing a grovelling letter, acknowledging their crime, explaining the circumstances, saying that they know better now, and giving details of in what ways they now help their community, and they send character references from people of standing. The file is then passed to a senior case officer to decide whether or not to grant the visa requested.

Other countries will have their own procedures, and whether they will or won't readily accept you will need to be researched.

Australia and NZ may be different countries but share most of their information when it comes to border protection.
    If one has been refused a visa and or turned back at the border of either NZ or AUS it will impact further travel to both countries. australia has a tough approach to border protection. and dont take these kinds of offences lightly.
    they told you that you could apply for a character waiver but that is something they tell everyone the chances of that being granted is another thing .
    Singapore has a very strict no drug policy and carrying drugs there can result in the death penalty . I know upon entering Singapore you have to tick boxes and one of them asks that question if you have ever been refused entry so yes there will be future implications on your travel all around the world especially because there were drugs involved
    Last edited by ice; 18th May 2016 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    Australia and NZ may be different countries but share most of their information when it comes to border protection.
    Australia and New Zealand do not share "most" of their border protection information, they share ALL of their border protection information, it is also not just Australia and New Zealand that do this, they are just part of a group of countries who have agreed to do this, other countries in the agreement include Canada, USA, England etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You are going to have to declare this on all future applications for visas, for any country. As that is the case, it's quite possible that your family and employer will find out that you have a problem.

In the case of NZ, since the authorities have said that you may be admissible with a character waiver, it sounds as though they will quite likely admit you. (Australia has different laws, so I'm not understanding why you linked them. Anyway

If someone is known to have committed a certain level of offence, such as you did in attempting to take cannabis into the country, then INZ can require them to apply for a character waiver. That is done by the person writing a grovelling letter, acknowledging their crime, explaining the circumstances, saying that they know better now, and giving details of in what ways they now help their community, and they send character references from people of standing. The file is then passed to a senior case officer to decide whether or not to grant the visa requested.

Other countries will have their own procedures, and whether they will or won't readily accept you will need to be researched.
    Important to remember that whilst you were detained and refused entry this time, you were not charged or convicted of an offence.

Just curious about this, but is the information shared by these countries from the beginning of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    Just curious about this, but is the information shared by these countries from the beginning of time?
    not necessarily shared, but can be accessed on enquiry between 'partners"