Thread: Finding work prior to EOI being approved…

Default Finding work prior to EOI being approved…

Having filled out an EOI I am 10 points shy of automatic acceptance as a Skilled Migrant. However, upon receipt of a job offer I qualify easily.

What I don't understand is the Chicken/Egg situation of looking for a job without a visa but needing a visa to find a job. I can't help but feel it will be off putting to employers for me to not have my visa in place. On looking at the processing time for a skilled migrant visa it looks like it can take up to four months?

Although in order to hire me in the mean time, am I right in thinking an employer need only to assist with a temporary work visa or am I being naive here?

I'm planning on travelling to NZ towards the end of the year, although I'd like to share my portfolio within the next few weeks to gauge interest etc. I want to do this well in advance of making the move for reassurance more than anything, although I anticipate I'll be much more successful if I'm actually there and can attend interviews in person.

Has anyone been through this and can share experiences?

am I right in thinking an employer need only to assist with a temporary work visa
    Correct, or WTR if the employer is accredited. And this is usually necessary if someone has a job offer, because it can take quite a bit longer to process a Residence visa application under SMC than you suggested. Every case is different, and a lot of verification depends on the INZ CO getting replies from third parties who aren't necessarily in any hurry to answer.

If you are within the age-band for a Working Holiday Visa, that is a good way to start working at once - if the employer makes you the offer of permanent contract, you can then put in for e.g. an Essential Skills visa or WTR.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you are within the age-band for a Working Holiday Visa, that is a good way to start working at once - if the employer makes you the offer of permanent contract, you can then put in for e.g. an Essential Skills visa or WTR.
    Thanks for the quick reply! My wife is within the age-band for a Working Holiday Visa and luckily got one approved recently. I however missed that window by a matter of months. However, my occupation and a number of variations of it are on the list of Skilled Occupations and as such, entering based on my profession seems like my only option now.

How about the BUNAC IEP? You can get one of those up to age 35. http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/...-zealand/visas