Thread: Which visa first?

Default Which visa first?

Hi all,

I've secured a job in NZ and will be starting work in September 2016. I'm intending to apply for residency under the SMC category but from what I've read, I don't think I will get the residency in time for me to start work right? So now I'm thinking of the following options:
    1. Should I submit my EOI first and once selected, submit my residency application. Then apply for work visa so that I can start work?
    2. Should I apply for work visa first, start work then submit my EOI only when I'm physically in NZ?
    3. Should I apply for work visa first and after getting it, quickly submit my residency application while I'm still in my home country? Problem is I'll probably be in NZ while they are still processing my application - will it confuse INZ?

Thanks all for your advise =)

No reason to do 1, but either of the others, or do both at once.

3 isn't a problem for INZ. You have to submit to the office stated on the INZ Office and Fees Finder as covering the place where you are at the time. Then, when you move, you obviously tell INZ (partly so you can get any mail they send you, and partly because that is the rule), and they transfer your case to whatever office covers your new address. Any progress to date will have been noted, and the new CO will just pick up from wherever the old one had got to.

Thanks for the quick reply =)

Will the application get delayed if I change INZ office/CO?

If I may add in one more question - my contract offer is such that I'm hired as an independent contractor working in the establishment. I'm responsible for my own taxes and I do not enjoy leave benefits (no work = no pay). It is a long term contract though (stated 5 years in the contract but there shouldn't be a problem renewing when the time comes). Does this kind of contract qualify me for the SMC resident visa? Or a more typical employment contract will be better (for resident visa purposes)?

Changing office shouldn't mean any major delay.

It depends if the job meets the terms of SM7.15 a iii (and the rest of the section, of course). http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30549.htm There's no doubt but that a typical 'employed' role would mean an easier process through INZ for you. If working as an independent contractor can be interpreted as being self-employed, you won't get Residence under SMC through that job, because SMC is for employees. The self-employed have to go the business/entrepreneur route.

Thanks JandM!

Dear JandM,

Can residency visa under SMC be applied with the job offer (claiming those valuable points) and chance of getting a residency permit than the WTR? I've read in this forum that, with the job offer, processing time can be expedited by requesting the INZ.

Thanks