Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PhD student with full time job offer

Default PhD student with full time job offer

Hi everyone,

I am Gotham, an international student doing Ph.D. at the University of Auckland. I am entering the second year of my doctorate and have a full-time job offer in hand. According to my Student visa, I can work for any employer in New Zealand and provided I work on my Ph.D. full time. I won't be able to work 40 hours on my Ph.D. and 40 hours on my new job every week. Am I eligible to apply for a resident visa since I have 150 points ? The job offer I have is a trainee biomedical engineer job in a government hospital. Should I ask the employer to provide me with the work permit to work full time and study part time ? Since it is an entry level engineer position, I am confused whether the employer will sponsor a work visa.

Please guide me with the process.

Thanks in advance.

INZ regard 30 (or more) hours a week as full-time. Does that help?

Thank you for your swift response. As per my student visa I'm required to work full time on my PhD and can work full time for any employer. I have a full time job offer in hand related to my qualifications. Will I be able to apply for a resident visa with my job offer ? It will help me convert my PhD from full time to part time.

Sometimes we need to make sacrifices. I am also a full-time Phd student in my third year and I have been working full-time for 2 years. It has been six months since I submitted my ITA, and I am still waiting...

Good luck and wish you get your residence visa soon. I will try my best to balance full-time PhD and full-time work. Did you ask your employer to support you for your work permit ?

I suggest you go get Immigration advice from a lawyer or licensed adviser about your residence eligibility in the position offered to you. All else is speculation...

I got support documents from my employers regarding residence application. The CO sent my employers a questionnaire in December 2015 and by January 2016, my employers were able to reply. I am working full time based on the work privilege that comes with my PhD study visa.

That's very helpful. May I know your field of employment ? By any chance, are you aware of the minimum salary range we are supposed to show to apply for residence ?

Since it's a graduate position, I need to get immigration advice from a lawyer. Thanks.

My field: Community work.

Not sure of the acceptable salary range. I know someone who got his residency with salary of 40 thousand dollars per annum. Mine is way above that though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast