Thread: Regarding SMC

Default Regarding SMC

Hi everyone.

Need help with SMC. I am on Open work visa right now. Got job as a Fiber Technician with one of the well known company in Hamilton.

This job is Skilled job and I am thinking to apply for SMC.

I worked with Dell in India as a Technical Support Associate for aprox. 4 years and I was supporting US and Canada clients only for any kind of hardware, software and network related issues.

I want to know if is it possible to show that Dell job was relavant to the job that I am doing right now which is fibre technician.

I hope someone can help me to clarify this.

Thanks.

what is your NZ qualification?

Hello MrMark. Thanks for replying.

I have got no NZ qualification. I am not claiming any point for my qualification. I have got 3 year and 10 months of Technical Support Associate exp with Dell.

If you got no NZ qualification then how could you get an open work visa? Is that through partnership?

I am already on open work visa because my wife is studying here in NZ. My question here is for SMC not for open work visa. I want to know that my current job is Telecommunication technician and I worked with Dell as a Technical Support associate. Can I anyhow show that my previous experience is relevant to my current job.

Okay, so you appear to be likely to meet the ANZSCO requirement: "At least three years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above." http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....Trades+Workers

At that link, there is a general description of the responsibilities of a Telecommunication Trades Worker, as well as the particular mention for Telecommunication Technician. To prove your experience with Dell was relevant, and can apply, you would need to provide your Dell job description and show, step by step, how that tallies with ANZSCO, as well as doing the same for your current job.

Given you don't have a NZ qualification in telecom field, you need to show 3 years experience to substitute the qualification requirements if the nominated occupation is skilled level 2. I don't know why the skill shortage checker isn't working today (might be due to outage) http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz
    Not too sure if it's 3 or 5 years, but I think more likely 3 years as most technician jobs fall into level 2.

Since Dell Inc is an American company, even if you work for Dell India, the work experience is still counted. You should collect a lot of evidence about your tenure in Dell India (contract, payslips, job specification, tax records, job description, reference letter on company letterhead etc) to show the relevance of that job to your current position.

Hi JandM. How are you?

Thank you for your reply.

I was working with Dell as a Technical Support Associate and was helping US and Canada clients for any kind of software, hardware and network related issues. Do you think I can show that Dell experience is relevant to Telecommunication technician job that I am doing right now?

Need suggestions please. If anyone can help with immigration advice that would be a great help.

I really don't know. That isn't a matter for immigration rules. It is quite straightforwardly looking at the two job descriptions, and stating, 'In my old job, I had to do this, this and this, and in my new job, I also have to do this, this and this.' If there is some overlap (the more the better), then the previous work experience can be show to be relevant.