Thread: Work Experience reference

Default Work Experience reference

Dear all,

I just received my ITA (for SMC visa) and I read with horror that I'm required to submit references from all my previous employers to prove my work experience. There is one particular company I worked for many years back (my first job) that I foresee a problem getting a reference from them - too bureaucratic and it will take ages to wait for their reply (I just called and was put on hold until the call ended). I have discarded my payslips.

I'm wondering - can I submit whatever references I can get and then inform INZ that I'm unable to obtain the rest. Even if I don't get the points for work experience, I should still get >140 points I think. Is that ok? Or they just won't process my application until they receive all the required documents?

Thanks =)

If you are sure you don't need that employment to get you over the points threshhold, you don't need to mention it.

Otherwise, if you need it, and you absolutely CANNOT get in touch with someone there, it is possible to provide a reference from e.g. your then line manager, or a colleague who was in a position to know what your duties were. Such a person needs to explain their connection with the company, and to give contact details on which they will be reachable while your application is being processed, because INZ will need to reach them to verify what you have said.

If you need that employment to get enough points, then you DO have to submit the evidence at the time you submit your ITA. The first thing that happens when an ITA arrives in the office is that a clerk checks over that there is proof with the form of every set of points claimed - not verifying it, which comes later, but just seeing that it is physically there.

Hi JandM,

Many thanks for your helpful replies. Can I just ask again just to be very sure - I have indicated my relevant work experience in my EOI, which has been submitted and selected. So let's say now I have difficulty getting the evidence that INZ requires to verify my work experience, can I just tell INZ that I am unable to get hold of this and this work reference and please deduct the points away (I'm pretty sure I still have >140 points without the work experience points). Will INZ decide not to process my application as they may think that I "lied" to them in my EOI?

I actually have most of the other documents required by INZ prepared. I'm wondering if I can just submit without any of my work references (as waiting for my previous employers to prepare these will take at least a few weeks I'm sure) and tell INZ to disregard the points that I've claimed for that part in my EOI.