Thread: Student visa holder, wanna get Refugee status... need urgent help!!!

Default Student visa holder, wanna get Refugee status... need urgent help!!!

I am a Bangladeshi student live in Auckland from March 2015. My father is politician(opposition) and he lost in last UP election. When last time i visited Bangladesh Opposite(roiling party) party kidnapped me and they tried to kill me. And police tried to arrest me as well. That's why I leave my country. Now I am in New Zealand on Student visa. Can I apply for refugee status in NZ???

I haven't seen any mention on the forum of anyone going through the process of claiming refugee status, so I doubt there is anyone here who will have experience to share. I found this information leaflet. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...newzealand.pdf It has details of how to put in a claim.

You would probably need evidence of what happened to you when you went back because I'm not sure INZ would just take your word for it, if this happened to you when you went back then what is happening to your family who are still there? Plus if they come to the conclusion that your home country can provide a means of protection good enough to keep you safe they will not grant refugee status.
    I am no expert but have read a little about becoming a refugee in NZ. This is probably not the answer you want to hear but based on what you have said I think your chances are slim