Thread: Extraneous reasons for visa decline?

Default Extraneous reasons for visa decline?

Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone is aware of any particular circumstances that would give INZ reason to decline a temporary visa, other than simply not meeting the requirements for the visa being applied for. For example, assuming someone submitted an application for an essential skills work visa, and met all the requirements for being granted the visa, are there any reasons not stipulated in the immigration instructions that would give cause for INZ to decline a visa?

I am from the UK originally and have spent a lot of time in NZ on various visas, mostly essential skills which I have had no problem getting. Is there a limit to how many work visas one can be granted? Can INZ one day just decide not to grant a visa because the applicant has been in NZ too long? Are there any potential surprises I should be aware of?

I've heard the occasional 'urban myth' type story about someone being granted visas successfully year after year, and then suddenly having their application declined for no real reason. Does this actually happen?

Many thanks.

Hi there,

I am currently on essential work visa too, this is my 3rd year getting it with no problem (online eVisa, got it in 2days)

Got a workmate with same temp. work visa for 10 year, also got no problem so far.

Most of the people I knew here is on temp. work visa, as well heard a "urban myth" that about a guy who couldn't find employer to sponsor him and has to leave the country about several years here.

I hope it helps

Thanks!

My own experience with these urban myths is that there's usually more to it. Good to hear about your workmate getting work visas for that long! I know that the INZ website used to state that there was no limit to the number of essential skills work visas one could get, but that particular statement has been removed.

Someone CAN be refused a fresh temporary visa for their same job if, over the time since they first got that job, enough NZers had been trained up in a particular career, so there was no need for it to be on one of the skills in demand lists any more (i.e. there's felt to be no more need for temporary foreign workers). This happened with teachers in quite recent times.

If you're in a skilled job and want to feel secure about living in NZ for the foreseeable future, you can look into getting Residence under SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Someone CAN be refused a fresh temporary visa for their same job if, over the time since they first got that job, enough NZers had been trained up in a particular career, so there was no need for it to be on one of the skills in demand lists any more (i.e. there's felt to be no more need for temporary foreign workers). This happened with teachers in quite recent times.

If you're in a skilled job and want to feel secure about living in NZ for the foreseeable future, you can look into getting Residence under SMC.
    Currently I am exploring various residency options, but relying on temporary essential skills visas for the time being. My occupation is not on any skills in demand lists so each year I go through the labour market check procedure for an essential skills visa based on no suitable NZers being available. I'm just hoping my applications are granted for as long as I am eligible, and that there aren't any 'no more visas for you' surprises.

If it's a skilled job you're in in NZ, you should qualify under SMC, shouldn't you? - as long as it comes up on the List of Skilled Occupations. http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If it's a skilled job you're in in NZ, you should qualify under SMC, shouldn't you? - as long as it comes up on the List of Skilled Occupations. http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/
    It's not on any skill shortage list. It's actually not even an ANZSCO listed occupation, though it 'significantly matches' some level 2 and 3 occupations on the list. I'm not quite sure how to go about matching the occupation to one of these ANZSCO titles however. Can I send a detailed description of my occupation to someone at Immigration or DOL to get a match? Who makes decisions on ANZSCO codes for occupations not described in the list?

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't have to match the NAME, as long it (pretty much) matches the DESCRIPTION. It's up to the applicant to try to find the best match they can in the first place, but if they apply, and INZ think that some other ANZSCO designation would be a better match, they may change it.