Thread: De Facto Relationship - work visa -

Default De Facto Relationship - work visa -

Hey everyone this is my first time posting. Ive been lurking this site and it has lots of good useful information and figured I would try to add to it instead of just taking from it.

My story is a little odd as most on this forum are.

I came to NZ from Fiji to take care of an uncle going through medical treatment in Auckland. I was basically his allowed assistant and funded by his insurance company. Ive been here since Septemeber 2015. In November of 2015 I moved into my cousins condo ( by myself ) and in January my cousins friends sister moved in. We hit it off great and started dating in mid February. As our relationship grew we looked at options for me to stay here and to be with her and that's how I stumbled onto this forum.

Since late march we have joint our bank accounts, have our bills in both our names and made purchases of a couch on trade me as well as bought new beds and a new washing machine with both our names on the recipts to show joint ownership of property.

The question I have is our rental agreement is in both our names as late January but our we didn't begin our relationship until mid Feb. Is that going to look funny to an agent? Does it matter if we were flat mates then decided be in a committed relationship with each other?

I'm just doing the final details of our application and doing a table of contents and a history outline of our relationship and should be dropping it off tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information this site provides and I hope to add to the success of this site. Will keep you guys posted through the process.

The question I have is our rental agreement is in both our names as late January but our we didn't begin our relationship until mid Feb. Is that going to look funny to an agent? Does it matter if we were flat mates then decided be in a committed relationship with each other?
    It's what happened. Every relationship starts off with the people not knowing each other, then realizing at some point that they want to know each other, and if you heard lots of people's stories of how it came about, they would sound odd, I guess. You have to tell the truth on your application.

Have you got letters from friends or family recognizing your relationship, and that you share your accommodation, as well as the evidence that you live at the same address?

Yea I want to be 100% truthful in our application and that's how our relationship came to be about.

Thanks for the reply back. I have about 5 letters from ( 4 family 1 friend ) stating when they found out about our relationship and their support for our relationship but only 2 letters dictate that we share a residence since they mention helping us move furniture into our apartment.

The only evidence we have showing we live together are some bank statements addressed to her when she moved in dating back late feb and our joint bank account statements which didn't start showing up to our house until the month of March. The utilities were included in our rent for the 1st 3 months so the utility bills I do have with both our names start just from May but they are in our names.

Also forgot to mention that I am an included driver in her car insurance and we have contents insurance for our apartment in both our names.

Thanks for your reply!
    Last edited by racecars254; 31st May 2016 at 08:47 AM.

Just to add, here are old threads about evidence of partnership, which may give you more ideas. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof

Quick update guys submitted my application 31st may and today , 17th of may I got my Visa approved!

Such a huge relief lifted off my shoulders. Thanks for all the help JandM that you listed in your link.

Ill start gathering all my stuff now for the next step. One weird thing is that they kept original tendency agreement and only returned shared receipts we had for big house hold items.

This application was submitted to the auckland branch in Manukau.

Congratulations.

Hi racecourse. May I know how long you've lived together as exclusive partners because you mentioned you were flatmates before. You are lucky, we have almost the same situation like you. We were very honest of our application too but they misunderstood our tenancy agreement and joint account and told us we "set it up" even before we have lived together so they declined my application . We are now applying for another work visa under partnership attaching cover letter in our tenancy agreement that the landlord needed to update the agreement because of a rent icrease and so my partner included me in the agreement less than 2 months before we have lived together in the house she has been renting for more than a year now. I had lived in this address anyway even before we updated the agreement. With the joint bank account, there was no mention in the instruction that a couple should be living together if a joint account is maintained. And even if we did not have a joint bank account we can show in our personal bank statements that we have been paying for each others expense early as March. I hope ours shall be approved too because we are 100% honest to our claims and we have supporting documents for them.

Congrates