Thread: Dunedin - best/worst suburbs?

Default Dunedin - best/worst suburbs?

My wife and I are looking to move to Dunedin from Auckland at the end of the year. The plan is to buy our first home but we're not sure where we should be looking.

Can anyone help with which are the best and worst suburbs in terms of:
    - weather
    - affordability
    - people
    Etc.

We also are curious about where to live, most important to us is
    S U N
    safe

Quote Originally Posted by RickSarah View Post
    We also are curious about where to live, most important to us is
    S U N
    safe
    Australia

Haha, been there done that and not wanting to do it again
    Don't think Aus is safer than NZ though ??

I think you have to put more thought into LOCATION when buying or renting in Dunedin, you want a house that gets as much sunlight as you can

We have lived in Dunedin for four years- and I agree, you need to look for a place with as much sun as possible, especially in winter!

I quite like St.Clair, being close to the beach has its advantages, but then again there is the problem of the possible flooding.
    Andersons Bay is another suburb I personally like, or, if you don't mind the commute, there are very nice communities out on the Otago peninsula.

Lots of people recommend Maori Hill, it can be a problem getting up the hill in winter..., a friend of mine who is from Dunedin says it was the coldest place she has ever been living in. anything too close to the university used to be more student- like, lots of the places rented out to students are not that well cared for, not only by the students, but a lot of landlords want to make money and not put any in.

To get a feel for the town, it is probably the best to try and find a holiday home for a while (there are some around, even in the suburbs) and check out houses/ places you are interested in. Do not buy or rent without having been in the house before!

Renate this is great info! We are looking to move in December/Jan and have been checking out property in Dunedin. I did wonder about St Clair's flood map. Are there any suburbs in the north just out of town you can recommend?