Thread: Salary to live in Auckland

Default Salary to live in Auckland

What's an okay salary to be able to live in Auckland? Work in CBD and undecided about where to live. My partner will be dependent on me until he can find work.

Quote Originally Posted by geheimwaffe View Post
    What's an okay salary to be able to live in Auckland? Work in CBD and undecided about where to live. My partner will be dependent on me until he can find work.

... with 55 k per year you can live ok...
    Rent: from $350 to infinity (literally)
    Mobile: from $20
    Internet: from $60
    Weekly grocery (for two): minimum $100
    Public transport (monthly): $140 (not sure!)
    Gym (weekly): from $7
    Electricity / Water / Gas / Hot Water: maybe $50 each
    Movie: from $10

Hi YessicaCBO, thanks for the info! It's so hard to budget when coming from South Africa, here everything seems so cheap now! The $140 transport is correct, that's for a monthly pass for Zone A (CBD basically). Which I would probably go for to start with as I actually like trains!

Any idea whether it is better to live further and commute or to pay the extra rent and walk/cycle to work?

Auckland is very expensive and I think $55k will be cutting it rather fine. The $350 for rent quoted above is (a) on the low side and (b) a weekly figure. Take off tax and you are living on sunshine. For anything resembling a "middle class" lifestyle budget for at least $150k per year, if not more.