Thread: Partnership Work Visa

Default Partnership Work Visa

I'm from the UK but in NZ on a WHV and have been with my NZ partner since August last year & living together since November.

I am applying for the 12 month partner work visa as we haven't been together the 12 months to be able to apply for residency just yet.

I have a couple of questions at the moment! My boyfriend has two children (2 difference mums), one who he doesn't really see due to distance and the nature of the relationship with the mother (she wont allow him contact) and the other child we have stay with us every Monday and Tuesday. On my part of the application form where it asks about dependent children does that mean if I have any children of my own? So I would answer that there is no dependent children? Or would it be a yes due to my partner having children? I'm sure this is one of those easy questions I've complicated in my head!

Another thing is I'm planning on sending my application off on the 10th, so next Friday providing my Australian Police Record comes in time (I was in Australia previous for just over a year). I've already had my medical done, UK police records etc. I'm a bit concerned about the processing time and know this can vary but my current WHV is up on the 14th July so just under 5 weeks from when I would have send my application off. In this scenario would I need to apply for another visa if a decision isn't made in time to cover me for that period or would I automatically be put onto a temporary visa if they have not made a decision at that time? Just trying to prepare now for that happening, better to ask and know!

Technically they are not your children so I would say that would be a no to the question that asks if you have any dependant children, as for the visa, if you are in a working holiday visa now and apply for a partnership based visa you will automatically be granted an interm visa while you wait for the answer of you partnership visa

I agree with David 12345. The form is asking if YOU have children, and you don't. And as long as your application is lodged before your WHV runs out, you will be issued with an interim visa (which you don't have to apply for).

That's awesome guys, thanks for the answers. Would I still be able to work on the Interim Visa as I work in a Lawyers and they want me to stay working with them until at least April next year. If not then worst case scenario I can apply for the second year WHV which would allow me to continue working until mid August and by which I should have the decision of the partner work visa

No, you wouldn't be able to work on the interim visa, because you would be going from one kind of open work visa (WHV) to a different kind of open work visa (partner-sponsored). https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isa-conditions

Quote Originally Posted by elmiee View Post
    That's awesome guys, thanks for the answers. Would I still be able to work on the Interim Visa as I work in a Lawyers and they want me to stay working with them until at least April next year. If not then worst case scenario I can apply for the second year WHV which would allow me to continue working until mid August and by which I should have the decision of the partner work visa
    Second year WHV visa? I'm not sure that is possible, maybe an expert can clarify?

The conditions on WHVs vary depending on what your country of citizenship is, and what agreement there is between the NZ government and your country's. A UK citizen can get 23 months on a WHV in all, either by applying for it in the first place, or by asking to add on extra time after the first year while they're in NZ. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...g-holiday-visa

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, you wouldn't be able to work on the interim visa, because you would be going from one kind of open work visa (WHV) to a different kind of open work visa (partner-sponsored). https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isa-conditions
    I see, that's a handy little table of information! So I would defiantly be best to pay the $214 or whatever it is for the 2nd WHV then as I've already done a medical for the partner visa so that costs out the way anyway