Thread: SMC vs Talent (Accredit Employer) toward Permanent Residency

Question SMC vs Talent (Accredit Employer) toward Permanent Residency

Hi,
    I've dutifully read through heaps of info on official NZ immigration site, as well as this forum. Still, I'm not 100% sure I got everything right...

My position: I work remotely for a NZ employer, for 6 years as of now. Now they/I want to spend some time in NZ working for this same employer.
    The employer is currently not an accredited one, but I might convince him to do so (we are very good friends and I am one of key employees there). I'd also qualify for SMC (way over the 140 points limit). My salary would be well over $90k.

My goal: Work both in NZ and in my current country, flying back and forth as necessary (as we have offices both here and in NZ). In two years get PR and move over to NZ more or less completely. My family would stay for year or two in my home country and then I'd bring them over to NZ.

I see that my two options are either SMC, or WTR. With WTR and my salary, I assume I'd get after 2 years PR, same as if I went the SMC way. The difference being only not being resident for the first 2 years - but does that matter?

The important question is the intended travel: do both SMC and WTR allow that (travel conditions, multiple entry?). And then for PR, do both have the same "commitment to NZ" conditions (184 days/year etc.?) I'd be NZ employee for the whole two years - but would WTR mind that I am half the time outside of NZ?

The obvious upside of WTR is less paperwork and speed of the process. The SMC allows adding family outright, and they don't even have to spent 2*184 days in NZ to get PR, only I do (they just have to activate the visa by coming to NZ once in 12 months upon residency grant).

Am I missing something here? Or did I got something wrong?

Thanks

Looking at the fact sheet about WTR here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa, under the NZ job offer heading, with it saying that the job must be full-time, I doubt that your split working between the NZ base and the off-shore one would meet the requirements. This is a question that hasn't cropped up on the threads before, so there's probably not anyone who can share experience with you. To be certain, you would need to ask INZ, but be aware that this isn't the kind of question that the ordinary front-desk people, or the telephone-answerers, could deal with - you'd need to insist on speaking to a supervisor who's someone trained to interpret the regulations, not just read what's on a page.

If you applied for residence under SMC, you would have the right to come and go as much as you wanted in the two years after receiving it (on the two years' travel conditions that come with residence). You would have to be careful to be in NZ at least half the time in each of the two years before you applied for PR, however (the 184-day requirement).