Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40 days to go, psyched and happy [progress thread]

An exciting time for you both. All the best.

Great info on trademe! We are planning to move in nov so just start to open bank account. Talked to accountant because Canadian needs to pay departure tax when emigrating, caused me stress and increased my blood pressure! Thanks for sharing so I know that I am not alone in stressing over the move!

Thanks @JandM and Fern49. @Auckland2016, I am glad you found the information about Trademe useful.

14 days to go:

Finances:
    - Today my Indian bank initiated money transfer to NZ account. I will know the status in 4 more days.
    - My wife also opened a bank account in ANZ. We will transfer funds to her account tomorrow. This should help us with initial settlement, car, purchases, rental bond etc.

Friends and family:
    - I am flying to Hyderabad (another city in India) to meet my friends for the weekend. This is a kind of going-away party. DW is hosting some of her friends at our place.
    - We invited local friends for dinner during next week. Although we meet them everyday, spending more time with them never hurts.
    - My mom and DW's parents are taking the idea of migration very well and supporting us in every way possible. We are thankful to them.

Renting a house in Wellington:

After talking to several friends and gathering information thru ENZ posts, we have decided to stay in the city during first year. So Kapiti will have to wait. Right now, we are looking for rentals in Johnsonville or surrounding areas.
    - Asked a few of my friends to provide references for rentals

So that is all for now. stay tuned for more updates.

4 more days to go:

Okay, this is the final push. Here are few random thoughts & updates

- Packing stage 1 is done (ie we have put aside everything we need to take). Stage 2 will begin tonight / tomorrow. This is when we will pack all the big suitcases and check-in bags. The carry on bags should be ready by Thursday night / Friday morning.

- Bank transfers are completed. Our NZ bank accounts now have some funds to cover initial expenses. I have also purchased some forex (USD) to carry with me.

- Rented a car for first week. We will purchase a vehicle in those seven days.

- So far no success on rental applications. But I have applied for few more viewings just now. Hopefully we will have a few viewings lined up soon after arrival.

- At this stage DW & I are looking slightly stressed and dull. We had a streak of farewell dinners during last week. Kids (our twins are 7 yrs old) started complaining about missing their grand parents and friends. We feel sad whenever they say things like, "Can we sleep at grandpa's house tonight. We won't be seeing them for another year and half..."

That is all for now. Lots of mixed emotions...

All good wishes for the busy times ahead.

I honestly think it is just as well that you haven't signed up to a rental before seeing it. Photos and details can be very misleading, quite apart from that human sense that *this*, though perfectly nice, doesn't quite feel right, and *that* is home, which you can't get without being in a place. When you are looking at properties, don't forget to think about the north being the sunny side. Also, if you possibly can, see a place when people are coming and going (work/school runs) as well as when it's all at its quietest during working hours.

Happy travels, Not long to go now, all the best

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    All good wishes for the busy times ahead.

I honestly think it is just as well that you haven't signed up to a rental before seeing it. Photos and details can be very misleading, quite apart from that human sense that *this*, though perfectly nice, doesn't quite feel right, and *that* is home, which you can't get without being in a place. When you are looking at properties, don't forget to think about the north being the sunny side. Also, if you possibly can, see a place when people are coming and going (work/school runs) as well as when it's all at its quietest during working hours.
    Thanks for the suggestion JandM. I will keep this in mind when viewing rental properties.

Hello folks..

Day 3: Landed in New Zealand. Staying at a friends place near Wellington Airport. Here are a few initial thoughts:
    - On a clear day Wellington looks beautiful
    - So far we had 2 clear days, 1 cloudy day. I hope the ratio continues
    - Viewed 3 rental houses so far. Applied for one rental. Fingers crossed.
    - Gandolf welcomes you to Wellington domestic airport at the arrivals. How cool is that.
    - The winters are not that bad. But since houses have neither central heating nor proper insulation, they feel colder. We have been wrapping up ourselves in layers inside the house too. Thermal underwear FTW.
    - Here is my first kiwi picture.

IMG_8064.JPG

Ciao...
    Attached Images Attached Images

All good wishes for the busy time you're going through right now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast