Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 days to go, psyched and happy [progress thread]

Default 40 days to go, psyched and happy [progress thread]

So we are just 40 days away from the journey to land of white cloud. We are flying to Wellington on July 15th.

There is a growing sense of stress, anticipation, hope and sadness in our house.

The kids (we have twins, 6 year old) are excited about the prospect of going to new schools, learning new sports and making new friends. At the same time they are worried that they won't get to see grand parents, cousins and friends for another 1.5 years (we plan to return to India for a holiday in December 2017)

The DW is happy about moving a country with better quality of life and so much to see / do. At the same time she is worried about how we will fit in to the new culture, whether we can find a decent house near good schools, how we will manage our finances and how long it will take to make friends in NZ.

As for me, I have mixed emotions and find myself spending inordinate amount of time browsing ENZ (reading old threads), watching YouTube videos about life in NZ, reading NZ related blogs and looking at rental listings in TradeMe.

I am hoping to log my progress in this thread so that I can be sane and calm.

So far,
    • Booked tickets
    • Got in touch with friends (one classmate and one ex-colleague) who are living in Welly and got their advice about possible places to live and initial logistics (airport pickup, possible house sitting arrangements etc.)
    • Put up house for sale, almost in the final stages of closing the deal.
    • Put up car for sale, at early stages. We plan to sell this last.
    • Called up banks in India to figure out how to convert our local accounts to international ones so we can move funds from here to NZ.
      • Will be submitting necessary documents and converting accounts by next week.

• Looked up prospective schools for kids and houses to rent nearby. We intend to stay in Kapiti Coast.
    • Bought clothes and winter wear for all of us.
    • Looked up (and fav'ed) few AirBnB apartments in Welly for initial stay. If the house sitting options do not work out (we will know in another 2 weeks), I will book a stay in one of these places.

I will post updates as we make progress. Thanks for reading this far. I feel calm already.

Thanks for sharing, and very good luck with all the preparations.

Keep us posted on life in Wellington!

An exciting if not apprehensive time for you all. All the best to you & your family.

Thanx for sharing! Good luck with the rest and next steps of your adventure

Thanks JandM, Auckland2016, Fern49, geoffr

Time for another update.

32 days to go:

• Initial stay: We looked up few places to stay thru AirBnB. Have applied to stay in one of them. I will know in a day or two if accepted. I have booked the place for 3 weeks starting 17th July.
    • House sale: We found someone willing to rent our place. So pulled the house off market (we have no mortgage, so selling the place is not mandatory. We will dispose it once we are ready to buy a house in NZ)
    • Bank accounts: Still talking to bank manager in India. This seems to take more time than I anticipated.

23 days to go:

• Booked a stay thru AirBnB for initial 2 weeks (until July 31st). If possible, I will extend this for a few more weeks, but will do this only after arrival on 17th July.
    • Sold the car.
    • Opened ANZ Bank account for self. DW's account is under process and should be opened in next 2 days
    • Sold a few household items (spare beds) thru online classifieds
    • Created Trademe account so that I can apply for property viewings. Will start applying to rental viewings from July 7th (as most viewings are with in a week)

Tip for people trying to create Trademe account:Create your account using their online register page. Once the account is created, you will not be able to activate it unless you are physically in NZ. Now go to their contact us page and ask them to activate your account. Do mention that you are planning to relocate to NZ and you have a visa. Your account will be activated with restrictions (ie you cannot sell or buy anything, but you can book viewings and contact landlords / property managers etc.). Once you reach NZ, you can email the Trademe people to gain full access so that you can also buy stuff or participate in auctions.

Mental state: Almost calm. DW freaked out the other day after spending an afternoon at her mom's place. But she has calmed down after talking things and visualizing future together.
    Last edited by r1c1; 23rd June 2016 at 05:08 PM.

What does DW stand for?

Dear Wife.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast