Thread: Please can someone help me on options if I lose my job?

Default Please can someone help me on options if I lose my job?

Hi,
    I just wanted to know if I lose my employment what would happen?
    My work visa has employees name for over 4 years.
    Do I get time to find new employer? or Do I have to leave NZ immediately?

Please help as I am very concerned.
    Thankyou

Normally, a person who loses their job is given a short time to find a new job - they are not required to leave NZ immediately.

If you do lose your job, you should inform INZ straight away, and that you are looking for another, so they do not think you are trying to conceal anything - this way, you are not thought to be trying to overstay illegally.

Many thanks for your help.
    Just to confirm my visa states current employer name, so I would be still be able to find another job?

If you change your job, you have to EITHER get a new visa naming the new employer, or, if applicable, get a variation of conditions on the same visa naming the new employer. So there would be a gap of time before you could start working for the new employer, while INZ check out his business, to make sure it is sound, and the job, to make sure it qualifies as skilled.

See this page. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-changed/work There are several headings there which will help explain in more detail.

Just to add to JandM's response, if you find similar position, same region, different employer you can get variation of condition until the same expiry date in your current visa, usually without advertising and labour market tests etc.

If same job, but different region, you must satisfy the labour market test (advertising etc). That requires a fresh application for a work visa.

All visas are a matter of discretion. I would argue for a 3 month visitor visa on the basis it would be consistent with the spirit of policy given that employees dismissed during the 90 day probationary period have a right to apply for a visitor visa. Loss of job doesn't give you a right to a visitor visa but if you can satisfy INZ of your bona fides it would be a very mean spirited officer to decline you:

here is the policy for probationary period casualties:

V3.115 Work visa holders dismissed during a trial period
    Holders of current work visas who:
    hold a visa subject to the condition that they may only take up employment with a specific employer; and
    had provision for a trial period of up to 90 days under section 67A of the Employment Relations Act 2000 included in their employment agreement; and
    have been notified within the duration of the trial period that they are to be dismissed; and
    have not previously been the principal applicant in a successful application under these instructions;
    may be granted a visitor visa for up to three months.
    Last edited by MrMark; 10th June 2016 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks you all for your response.

My employment will be terminated after 4years with the same employer. I just need some time to look for new job.

Thanks for letting me know I need to look into same region.

So once I get new job should I just apply for variation of condition with new employer?