Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Step after IQA with Unspecified Outcome

Question Next Step after IQA with Unspecified Outcome

Dear All,

Today we received our NZQA - IQA results and it's assessed as below

1) Diploma in IT + Higher Diploma in IT assessed as A diploma at level 6
    2) Bachelor of Science degree assessed as A bachelor degree at level 7
    * In the BSc degree, we learned Computer Science, Statistics and Mathematics subjects.

There is no specialization or generalization. But NZQA mentioned both qualifications substantially similar to NZ qualification type.

We are planning to apply for Skilled Migration Visa under Analyst Programmer occupation and to claim bonus points, we need to specialization qualifications.

So my question is what are the options available to us? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rsherath; 14th June 2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Include additional details

Many people in your position have taken a trip to NZ as a visitor, and while there have made arrangements to meet possible employers and agents. If you get the offer of a skilled job, you can get a work visa* in quite a short period of time to allow you to start, and then apply for Residence under SMC - with the extra points for the job, you probably don't need the bonus points, as, in any case, with a job offer, you only need 100 points for the EOI to be selected.

*Whichever partner gets the job offer can sponsor the other for a partner of a worker visa, so both can stay.

Dear JandM,

Thanks for your advice.

I feel its safe to score 140 points first and visit NZ after that. That's why I asked about bonus points. Currently we have 130 points. So what if we launch EOI with existing 130? Do you think any employee willing to employ me (or my spouse) without physically be in NZ?

If not is there any way to assess our BSc qualification equal to BSc in Computer Science or Information Technology. (We have more than 7 years work experience in IT industry).

Thanks again.
    Last edited by rsherath; 14th June 2016 at 11:33 PM.

I think everyone would LIKE to be in the situation of having enough points to be selected at once.

Currently we have 130 points. So what if we launch EOI with existing 130?
    The way the NZ government currently has the immigration quotas set, no EOI without a skilled job or job offer in NZ will be selected with less than 140 points. Your EOI with 130 has no chance at all of being selected.

When you put in for your IQA, did you include a form or letter, asking NZQA to check specifically for the comparability you need for the bonus points for your career? (The form is sometimes called Appendix B.)

Dear JandM,

Thanks for your answer.

We consulted Licensed Immigration Adviser for our immigration process and she is the one who submitted documents to NZQA. In the application she asked to combine the qualifications but not sure whether she asked from NZQA to check specifically for the comparability we need for the bonus points. Now we are waiting for NZQA's clarification for our IQA results.

While referring the forum I noticed this reply from INZ to few applicants.

You have claimed bonus points in AASS as an ICT Professional. An assessment completed by IPENZ is NOT a requirement on the LTSSL for ICT Professionals.

Your qualification has been assessed as comparable to a Bachelor degree level 7. As it matches the type and level required by the LTSSL, a comparability assessment of your qualification will be conducted by a Technical Advisor at application stage - should you decide to submit your residence application. However, please note that there is no guarantee of favorable outcome. You should be aware that if you do not meet the requirements of the LTSSL you would not be eligible for bonus points and your application may be declined at application stage.

So if I launch the EOI and Technical Advisor assess our qualification in favorable manner I can score 140 points right?

Please advice.

This has been said to certain applicants who had work experience and a Master's degree in IT, computer science or similar, with a specific outcome at IQA, following on from a bachelor's in a different subject or with a generic outcome, so that though they did not meet the comparability requirements, their work history showed that they had wide and deep knowledge of the subject. It is an offer that is HARDLY EVER made, and not to anyone without that particular combination of work and a later, higher, qualification.

So, no, you could not count on this offer being made to you.

Dear JandM,

Thanks for your answer.

It seems comparability assessment from NZQA is the only option for us. So what is your advice? Is it worth to review the NZQA assessment?

(Before start NZQA process, our consultant said that NZQA going to combine out minor Computer Science degree with Higher Diploma in IT and it will equal into Major Computer Science/IT degree. That's why we initiate NZQA assessment.)

All qualifications that aren't on the INZ List of Qualifications Exempt From Assessment HAVE to be sent to NZQA. NZQA is the official body that is entrusted by the NZ government with investigating foreign qualifications, to make sure that they show the foreign worker is capable of doing the skilled job that they want to in NZ. There isn't an alternative.

But I'm afraid the consultant gave you the wrong impression, if s/he said that NZQA would definitely look at the content of both qualifications together and say they were comparable to one of the NZ qualifications on the LTSSL list. All one can do is ASK if they will look.

All you can do at this stage is to ask if they will check for comparability, whether or not you think the consultant asked them to do this in the first place.

Dear JandM,

Thanks for your advice.

So what are the steps to request a comparability. Now we are waiting for clarification. No matter whether it's favorable one or not, I assume we need new IQA result certificate. Or this existing IQA certificate + favorable clarification is enough?

Use the contact details on the NZQA website, and explain what you are wanting to ask for or ask about. They will tell you what they are allowed to do, if anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast