Thread: Tauranga - Need advice

Question Tauranga - Need advice

I read a couple of nice threads related to Tauranga. Thanks to those threads, now I have a knowledge of places like Otumoetai, Judea, Brookfield, Bethlehem, Matua, Papamoa and Mount Maunganui.

But I couldn't find much information about Gate Pa. I would like to know about its neighbourhood and living conditions and also the traffic conditions if you are travelling to/from central Tauranga during morning and afternoon rush hours. Additionally, what would be the ideal location to rent if you travel to/from central Tauranga for work?

Gate pa is maybe a 20 min drive in peak traffic to CBD. Its known as a bit more of a dodgy neighborhood, but Im around there all the time and it seems fine, compared to what dodgy neighborhoods are like where Im from. Heaps of shops, more affordable rent. People say Greenpark is a better primary than Gate Pa, but they are close by. My kid goes to afterschool at Coast Kids in the neighborhood, and they are great (not sure if youve got kids). Closest areas to working in CBD would be the Avenues, probably. If you have a car though, really its not a long drive anywhere in town (unless you live in Papamoa, Bayfair, the Mount etc). I really love Tauranga.

Gate Pa and Tauranga South (they kinda border each other) are both kinda nice, but they are in an older part of town, so the houses are not yet rebuilt. Its an odd time for Gate Pa as it has become of one of the fastest appreciating areas, and it will totally see redevelopment due to the hospital. BUT many long-time locals would think twice about living there.

Having said that, the eastern side of Cameron road has some nicer houses, and is a decent neighbour hood, but the few roads immediately west of Cameron Rd (around Tauranga Girls College) are not as good.