Thread: Need Help. I have a job offer.

Default Need Help. I have a job offer.

Hello,
    Thank you for reading my post. I have a few questions regarding immigration and the smc residence visa.
    I am currently in the USA and have recently spoken over skype with an employer in NZ who owns an upholstery business outside of Auckland. I was offered the job. My experience is actually in fine woodworking. I completed an unofficial 4 year apprenticeship (unofficial as the USA does not have a trade qualification for this) but can only claim points for 2 years. Upholstery and furniture making go hand in hand and the employer is looking to expand his business. I am not sure if immigration will see my experience as eligible or not?
    As far as points I can claim 125 with the job offer. If I cannot claim the experience than my points drop to 115. Also if I cannot claim a qualification or experience than it seems my job offer is irrelevant?
    Am I out of luck and need to look for other visas?
    Any ideas? I also want to mention I will be bringing my wife and 2 children with me. It is important that I can find a visa that will allow them on my application.

Thank you so much
    Shawn

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/cabinetmaker
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....+Cabinetmakers

I have found your post when I haven't got time to write a long reply. There are several questions that arise, to see how the rules might apply to you. I will come back later.

On your last point, if you have to get a work visa rather than a residence visa in the first place, don't worrry about your wife and children, because, although they can't be included on such a visa, they are entitled to be sponsored for their own visas by the holder of a work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I have found your post when I haven't got time to write a long reply. There are several questions that arise, to see how the rules might apply to you. I will come back later.

On your last point, if you have to get a work visa rather than a residence visa in the first place, don't worrry about your wife and children, because, although they can't be included on such a visa, they are entitled to be sponsored for their own visas by the holder of a work visa.
    Don't mean to intrude, but J&M... She may not even be in NZ, but someone in NZ has to organise some kind of medal or something for services to the country and prospective immigrants and arrivals, ie. new and future kiwis. We're lucky here

J&M - thanks, this could be a future situation for me

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/cabinetmaker
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....+Cabinetmakers

Thank you JandM. I really look forward to your response. I might add that permanent residency is ultimately my goal.

I completed an unofficial 4 year apprenticeship (unofficial as the USA does not have a trade qualification for this) but can only claim points for 2 years.
    If it is two years' experience since the 'apprenticeship', did you have any other work experience beforehand (in any wood-working related job)?

When you were doing the apprenticeship, were you employed, and paid? If so, is this on record, in e.g. payslips, your financial records and/or tax records?

The employer: is he accredited? (If you're not sure, he will be able to tell you himself. It means he would have gone through a check with INZ so he would have pre-approval to recruit foreign workers.) If not, has he been advertising for a worker to do this job, and not found anyone suitable answering who is already a NZer or NZ resident?

Hello JandM,
    I was employed through my apprenticeship for at least two and a half years. The remaining is not on record. So I have tax records for 2 and a half years. I could work another 6 months to a year to get the 3 year requirement. Another twist in all this is that my training was in Japanese woodworking and carpentry. We did everything from furniture, cabinets, doors, houses, foundations etc.... I see that for a carpenter/joiner one needs to have a AQF certificate 3 or higher. I am unclear how much work experience would be needed for a substitute.

The employer is NZ is not accredited through INZ. I know upholstery is on the immediate skills shortage list. does that change anything? Also he is in Kaitaia where he cannot find any skilled workers for the job. thank you so much!

Hello JandM,
    Thank you and I look forward to your thoughts and help.

If it is two years' experience since the 'apprenticeship', did you have any other work experience beforehand (in any wood-working related job)?

When you were doing the apprenticeship, were you employed, and paid? If so, is this on record, in e.g. payslips, your financial records and/or tax records?

The employer: is he accredited? (If you're not sure, he will be able to tell you himself. It means he would have gone through a check with INZ so he would have pre-approval to recruit foreign workers.) If not, has he been advertising for a worker to do this job, and not found anyone suitable answering who is already a NZer or NZ resident?

Letting you know I've seen this and will be back.

Thank you so much!

Letting you know I've seen this and will be back.

If you're putting in for Residence under SMC, you need to put forward one skilled career for which you can show qualifications or experience.

The links I put in a post above are to the INZ skill checker, for Cabinet Maker, and to ANZSCO. As you will see, ANZSCO says that three years' relevant experience can substitute for qualifications, so you need to look at the detailed regulations to see if your experience can count as relevant and recognised. See here. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm SM6 has a chart with all available points, and the other sections give the detailed requirements for being able to claim each. You need a minimum of100 points to get your EOI selected with a NZ skilled job offer.

If your job is for woodworking, upholstery being on the list wouldn't help you.

If you are doubtful about meeting the requirements for Residence, you could look at the Essential Skills visa - all the details are here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa As you will see, some of the requirements also refer to ANZSCO and the skills checker. Here http://onlineservices.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ is a more detailed account of the labour market check.