Thread: Query Regarding ITA Submission

Default Query Regarding ITA Submission

Hi All:

I need an expert opinion regarding submission of ITA application. I have received ITA for SMC category and deadline is end of August.

My qualification is successfully accredited by nzqa and remaining documents are also in place.

Now my worry is, I have read some posts where CO has specifically asked for partner's IELTS result (6.5) which I don't have and I am relying on university letters. Note that I am claiming 20 points for partners qualification; total 145.

So shall I go ahead, relying on university letters or get the IELTS done first? As medical is a big expense and I don't like to get rejection after ITA submission, it would be a heart breaker .

Regards,
    Nomez

You can put in your ITA with the evidence that you have. A specific letter from the university can be acceptable evidence of use of English.

About two years ago, there was a widespread fraud discovered in India, with certain institutions selling 'evidence of English' letters which were entirely faked, or the course had not been entirely in English. This had an unfortunate knock-on effect, with people who genuinely HAD been at an Indian (or other foreign) university, and HAD taken a course delivered in English, being doubted, and having to provide IELTS. Otherwise, in case of doubt, the CO might ask the partner to attend at the interview, and if his/her answers were not fluent and clear, then that gave reason to ask for IELTS (which is the final decider).

In case the CO decides to ask for IELTS, time is given for the person to take the next available set of tests and get the passing average, so this does not mean the application is rejected on that basis.

I think there was a recent similar case where the partner was requested to provide ielts report after an interview and then the partner faild to achieve the required level and hence the application was rejected. If I were you I would invest in the IELTS for the partner before lodging the application as the medical and application fees are not minor.

Thanks JandM, so at the end it all comes to IELTS and getting 6.5 in my partner's case might be tough.

@rsaleh - True, actually I checked the same thread and that gave me a reason to reconsider.

Let me go for the partner's IELTS first and then make the move. Or I guess I should stop thinking of NZ dream and start considering AUS.

Let me go for the partner's IELTS first and then make the move. Or I guess I should stop thinking of NZ dream and start considering AUS.
    I am sure nothing I have said above gives you any reason to be this pessimistic!

If your wife completed a university course taught in English, and she has a letter stating that Partner's Name attended XYZ University from this date to that date, following the course in ABC subject which was taught entirely in English, and graduating on that date, then that is perfectly good evidence of English ability. In almost all cases, that would be accepted by INZ without questions. Only if that institution had come to light in other enquiries for them, leading them to suspect the evidence might be fraudulent, would they think of carrying out an extra check, such as asking to speak to the partner. If the person can understand and make themself understood, then that is the end of the matter.

Or don't you think your partner could speak and answer questions? - if they could not, then that is the only reason you need to change your mind and get them to study for IELTS instead of submitting the university letter.

(I remember several years ago, there was a case something like this, when a main applicant was ordered to take IELTS following on from his CO interview. He was rather aggrieved, but to be blunt, the standard of English in his forum posts was nowhere near what would be required on a university course, so I think he was probably the only person surprised that the CO required him to take the test.)

Thanks JandM, make sense, let me move on with my application and see what happens.

A quick question, for partnership evidence, is it okay to provide more\alternate relevant documents other than the one which are being asked?

Yes. See these old threads, which may give more ideas. (These are talking more about evidence for the partner-sponsored work visas, but there is quite a lot of overlap.) https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof