Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington or Auckland??

Default Wellington or Auckland??

Dear All

I need some hands on advice about choice of relocation between the two cities(weather and quakes aside) .I am biased toward Welly and wife seems to love Auckland.However I need a solid argument in favor of either city to ease the decision making process. Apart from the transport and housing issues affecting Auckland what are some other factors to consider? I have listed a few criteria below

Which one is best before relocating using the following criteria:

1.Job opportunities/availability (I am in IT/Customer Service and wife in Accounting)
    2.Cost of living(rentals,transport,utilities etc)
    3.Starting a family (no kids yet) (so looking stuff like kindergarten facilities,schools etc)
    4.Security and safety
    5.Beautiful scenery,outdoor activities etc

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by brunomuzo View Post
    I need a solid argument in favor of either city
    Both cities have positives and negatives, you're not really going to get a definitive yes or no for either one, Auckland vs Wellington has been a continuing subject of debate as long as they've been cities. If you don't have jobs yet, then which city you find jobs in will be an important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomuzo View Post
    Dear All

I need some hands on advice about choice of relocation between the two cities(weather and quakes aside) .I am biased toward Welly and wife seems to love Auckland.However I need a solid argument in favor of either city to ease the decision making process. Apart from the transport and housing issues affecting Auckland what are some other factors to consider? I have listed a few criteria below

Which one is best before relocating using the following criteria:

1.Job opportunities/availability (I am in IT/Customer Service and wife in Accounting)
    2.Cost of living(rentals,transport,utilities etc)
    3.Starting a family (no kids yet) (so looking stuff like kindergarten facilities,schools etc)
    4.Security and safety
    5.Beautiful scenery,outdoor activities etc

Thanks all
    1. Jobs - Auckland have more jobs but think you should be able to get jobs in Wellington also
    2. Cost of living probably a little less in Wellington
    3. Starting a family - both (very) good
    4. Security and safety - think Wellington a little better
    5. Beautiful scenery/outdoor activities - both about the same

Thanks for the advice mate

Having lived in both i would say Wellington hands down. Any recent work visits to Auckland have confirmed this due to the traffic woes and house prices. Unless you are a millionaire be prepared to live in a far off suburb of Auckland with a long commute to work.
    North of Wellington has awesome train links and all the beauty and beach culture of Auckland for half the price

Thanks for the additional insight Joti

1 vote for Auckland if you wanna to get work fast man

I've only lived in Wellington, but for me it has one clear advantage:

You can get a house/apartment at a decent price point where you can have great access to the CBD. In Auckland, most inner neighborhoods are priced out of the reach of a first time home owner. (in excess of 1M NZD.) Wellington is not inexpensive by any stretch, but homes are less expensive, and the scale of the city means that you don't have to live a 40 minute drive away from the CBD to get a reasonably priced home. I think this has a huge impact on quality of life- especially if you like taking advantage of a vibrant CBD.

On the flip side, Wellington as a city is more isolated. There are decent flight links to all of NZ and a few major Aussie cities, and the airport is tons easier to access and use than Auckland... but there are not as many places to get away on a shorter/cheaper trip. The greater Wellington area is lovely, but other than heading towards wine country and the Wairarapa, there is not much you can access in under 2 hours. Napier, Taupo, New Plymouth and Nelson are all 4-5 hours by car/ferry and you are covering a lot of empty area on the way.

While in Auckland, you can take the ferry to lots of destinations and there are a lot more towns in a 1-3 hour radius that are fun to visit (Coromandel, Tauranga, Hamilton, Rotorua.) And Auckland itself is much more decentralized, which although a negative overall, does give you more places within the metro area to visit.

Then again, flights from Wellington to Auckland are only 1 hour and are inexpensive. So you probably will see a lot of both cities wherever you chose to settle. If only the Auckland airport was closer to the CBD or they built a nice rail line.

Found this trend useful as it crossed my mind on which I would like to live! I think I do not have the privilege of choosing where, as it is more of where the job is based. Hopefully, as a first timer moving there in the future!

You have to decide yourself. Both are good for living. Next April I am coming to Auckland. Auckland is best option for me because of transport and I have some good friends there. But you may have different logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast