Thread: Interim visa health insurance

Unhappy Interim visa health insurance

Hello,

I am wondering what to do for health insurance during the interim visa stage.

Facts:

1. Current student visa expires 1 July
    2. Applied for a work visa
    3. Interim visa notice received last night.
    4. INZ said it may take another 3-4 weeks to process my work visa application (submitted it in May, had to do a follow-up medical check)
    5. Interim visas for people going from student to work are actually a "visitor visa"
    6. People with a visitor visa are not eligible for public or private health insurance (only for citizens, residents, and 2+years work visas)

So what are my options for health insurance? Am I wrong about the private health insurance being only for citizens, residents, and 2+year work visa holders? Has anyone been in this position before?

Cheers!

Note: I cannot buy travel insurance from my home country because I am not a resident there and do not have national health coverage (a pre-requisite for travel insurance)

you can get for example nomads travel insurance very popular and you don't need national health insurance

Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    you can get for example nomads travel insurance very popular and you don't need national health insurance
    Thanks, I just checked it out. Because I am not a resident of my home country I am not eligible for national health insurance. Therefore, Nomad will only cover me for $20,000 max (total of all claims). The reason is, my home country would pay for most of the costs for citizens living abroad if they are a part of the national health system. I am not, so Nomad would be stuck with the full bill so they only offer a piddling amount of coverage.

world nomads is different for different countries, im canadian and after my national health insurance ran out (after a year of being out of the country) i could not be covered by world nomads. i looked into bupa and liberty insurance, but i cant remember how they worked out, i just went without insurance for a few months. oh what about orbit, have you looked into that?

https://www.scti.co.nz/visiting-new-zealand

Quote Originally Posted by pamelaandfred View Post
    world nomads is different for different countries, im canadian and after my national health insurance ran out (after a year of being out of the country) i could not be covered by world nomads. i looked into bupa and liberty insurance, but i cant remember how they worked out, i just went without insurance for a few months. oh what about orbit, have you looked into that?

https://www.scti.co.nz/visiting-new-zealand
    Ah ha! This looks promising. I'll have to give them a call on Monday to make sure but it seems like it should work.

Thank you!

UPDATE

The Southern Cross Travel Insurance option is not very appealing. Its coverage is pretty barebones but there is a scary exemption - if the cost of a medical evacuation is cheaper than the expected cost of treatment in NZ and you are fit to travel they will exercise the option to fly you home. If you refuse you lose all coverage.

I found a different company that has a similar exclusion but with different conditions: http://www.studentassist.co.nz/visitsafe

With VisitSafe, if you are facing high medical costs they will treat you up to the maximum then consider repatriation. Generally it is just a better plan - and it was slightly cheaper than Southern Cross.

The problem for me and perhaps most other expats is we are not residents in any particular country other than the one we are currently in. I haven't lived in my home country for 15 years so I am not eligible for public health. If I were repatriated I would have to pay out of pocket for medical treatment.

The only alternative is expat health insurance which is very costly - expect to pay about $200/month and have minimum periods (3 months is the shortest I found, normally they expect you to pay yearly).

It really comes down to risk and money - if you are risk adverse and have enough money you can fork out $2400 for a year of expat health insurance. If you are not so concerned you can buy Southern Cross monthly for around $120.