Thread: Lawyer recommendations for property buying

Default Lawyer recommendations for property buying

Hi there

Can any member recommend a good lawyer who can complete the paper work for a fee simple house property which I am buying in Wellington worth about 500k

He should have reasonable fees and thorough with his paper work

I would prefer a lawyer whose main practice is in property.

I would also be grateful if the members can advise what are the fees typically charged for such transactions

I would be going for a bank loan so would the bank insist on having their own lawyer ? Is it advisable and economical for me to engage the lawyer to complete the conveyancing procedure

Thanks for advising
    Last edited by newbienz; 26th June 2016 at 10:31 PM.

Hi there

Yes I'm pretty you need to use a lawyer for this sort of transaction, and no, banks dont insist you use their lawyers, as far as I'm aware. We used Chris Jones in Wellington who'd been used by a friend of mine and found him extremely thorough and willing to go the extra mile, He was around $1,360.00 in total for our fee simple buy and that was at the start of this year, so probably hasnt changed. We did a bit of phoning around and that seemed be the going rate all told (some firms charged more, he is a one man band). His email is cjones@xtra.co.nz.

Good luck with your house-buy!

Hi there

Thanks for the recommendation
    Just one more query
    I would be putting a conditional tender with conditions like engineers check finance approval etc.
    I would prefer that the bid documents be prepared by him so that there is no misunderstanding on the conditions of my bid.
    Now if he prepares the bid document and my bid is not accepted or after engineers report, I decide not to go ahead with the transaction, what sort of charges would I be looking to pay to him for preparing the bid documents and then preparing the bid cancellation letter

Thanks for advising

Hi...I'm not sure about the answer to that as our offer was accepted after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. If you contact him directly he'll be able to say.

Hi there

On the web i found

Peter Jones
    http://www.joneslaw.co.nz/

Any member have dealt or heard about him ?

Thanks for advising