Thread: Anyone got Residency through being a Contractor?

Default Anyone got Residency through being a Contractor?

Hey there,

It's only been brought to my attention recently that you can get residency through self-contracting in New Zealand. I work as an event contractor, I'd like to know if this is a visa option for me as I don't think I have enough New Zealand based experience/evidence of repeat employment through event work to qualify but honestly I don't know what it entails and I can't find any clear information.

If you've had experience of getting residency this way; how long did you work as a contractor in New Zealand and what kind evidence did you provide, what visa were you on prior to applying etc etc. Any information at all would be a really great help!!

I'm just coming to the end of my 23 month Work Holiday Visa, the original plan was for me to get a partnership visa on my boyfriends sponsored work visa but his company have made us promises and dragged the process out for the last year and then completely let us down and pulled the rug out from under our feet leaving us without many other options. I'm just trying to find out if we do have any alternatives available!

Thanks in advance!

mployment must be ongoing and sustainable. Ongoing and sustainable employment is:
    an offer of employment or current employment, with a single employer, that is permanent or indefinite, and of which the employer is in a position to meet the terms specified; or
    an offer of employment or current employment with a single employer, for a stated term of at least 12 months; or
    employment on a contract basis where the applicant:
    has a consistent history of contract work, and
    has a current contract for services, and
    INZ is satisfied that such contract work is likely to be sustained.
    Note: When assessing whether employment is sustainable, officers may consider, but are not limited to, such factors as the residence status of the employer, the period for which the employing organisation has been established as a going concern, and the financial sustainability of the employing organisation.

Where an offer of employment or current employment is for a stated term of at least 12 months, the stated term must be valid both at the time the application is lodged and when the application is decided, in particular:
    ~ if the applicant has current employment, he or she must be in that employment, or
    ~ if the applicant has an offer of employment, the offer must continue to be valid.