Thread: Best option to Residence for International PhD Student

Default Best option to Residence for International PhD Student

Hi there,
    I got my student visa to do PhD in NZ a few weeks ago. If I want to become a permanent residence at the end, I think I should plan my career from now accordingly. I have a masters degree (MSc) from UK which is exempts for NZ qualification assessment. The topic of MSc and PhD is a bit different (Urban Planning and Geography/Environment respectively) but both of them are in the skill shortage list as profession. Now what would be the best pathway for me to approach PR in NZ?

1. Finish PhD-----Post study work permit (open)-----Post Study work permit(Employer assisted)------Skill Migration Category
    2. Finish PhD-----Post study work permit (open)-----Essential Skill Work Visa------Skill Migration Category
    3. While doing PhD, look for full time permanent job------Get a job offer-----give up PhD-----Essential Skill Work Visa-------Skill Migration Category

Two things actually I am in confusion with. Once I finish my PhD, can't I directly apply for Essential Skill Work visa if I have a job offer (If the job is in skill shortage list, which is my case, the employer doesn't need a labor market assessment). What difference does the post graduate work permit and essential skill work visa make for such situation?

And another point is, if I am on a student visa, if I get a job offer (as my previous education qualification is accepted without any assessment) while I am studying, can I apply for work visa if I don't want to continue studying anymore?

I can understand things are really complected here, but your expert opinion/suggestions would;d really guide me to plan accordingly.

Sincerely,
    Zakir

Once I finish my PhD, can't I directly apply for Essential Skill Work visa if I have a job offer (If the job is in skill shortage list, which is my case, the employer doesn't need a labor market assessment). What difference does the post graduate work permit and essential skill work visa make for such situation?
    Yes, you can. You're not obliged to apply for a post graduate work permit just because it exists!

Many people are glad to go for the post graduate work permit if they HAVEN'T got the offer of a fully skilled job yet when they have just finished university. It gives them a bit of time to find an offer that will let them stay in NZ. But for someone who straight away has a skilled job offer, there is no reason not to get the Essential Skills visa directly, which will allow them to start work asap and not keep the employer waiting too long, and get their Residence afterwards.

And another point is, if I am on a student visa, if I get a job offer (as my previous education qualification is accepted without any assessment) while I am studying, can I apply for work visa if I don't want to continue studying anymore?
    Yes, you can.