Thread: Sponsoring a Partner for work visa

Default Sponsoring a Partner for work visa

Hi,

For a work visa based on partnership with a NZ resident/Citizen there are certain condition for a NZ resident/citizen partner to be able to support his/her partner. Most importantly related to supporting previous applications in last 5 years. I wanted to know does supporting a work visa based on partnership also fall under those conditions or its to do with supporting a residence visa application only.

I would like to support my partner for a work visa and if i do that will it mean if we are no longer together after a couple of years and i meet someone else or get married i wont be able to support them. Or i will only be limited if i sponsor my partner to be a resident.

Sorry for being repetitive but just wanted to make sure i'm asking the question with right details.

Cheers.

Nobody can sponsor another partner application until five years have passed since they previously did so - any partner application. And nobody can do partner sponsorship more than twice.

If you are already thinking now that your partnership might be finished in a couple of years, and looking ahead to finding the next, I think you should seriously ask yourself if this partner-sponsoring is the right move.

Thanks clarifying, but this is what i found on immigration.govt.nz and that sort. All the points mentioned here have "successful residence application" mentioned which i'm trying to decipher. So if someone just had a work visa but decided not to apply for residence does it still qualify as "successful residence application"?

Your partner won’t be eligible to support your visa, or a later residence application, if they have:

• supported a successful residence application for more than one previous partner
    • supported a successful residence application for a previous partner in the last 5 years
    • included a previous partner in a successful residence application in the last 5 years
    • have been included as a partner in a successful residence application in the last 5 years.

Its not about being sure of relationship bur rather more about being aware what i'm up for, if i have to sponsor my partner. Before signing up for something you need to know the consequences as well.

I thought I was sure of what I was remembering, but I've now been hunting and found this, which may help you. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....972#post505972

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I thought I was sure of what I was remembering, but I've now been hunting and found this, which may help you. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....972#post505972
    Thanks for the link, that helps.