Thread: Work visa essential skill

Default Work visa essential skill

Hi there,
    I have a question...
    I gained a Work visa under essential skill(chef)in Canterbury christchurch city,after one year Working,i applied again and gained an other Work visa for 3 years,where i can Work for any employers in the Canterbury region,now i would like to know,what happens if i quit my job and travel back to italy to visit my parents?can i still come back to nz(4 months) later?would i have any problems at the border?i dont want to lose my current visa ,but i seriously must go to visit them!....please help
    Cheers

Look at your visa and see if it has multiple entry travel conditions written on it. If it has, you are already clear to go and come back. If it hasn't, you can ask INZ to change it to give you multiple entry. http://kb.immigration.govt.nz/item/3832

Thanks to reply to me yes my visa does have multiple entry ...i was only wondering if i could come back Also without a job?...because i would quit my job to go as i would stay out of the country at least 3/4 months...
    As u say seems to me that i wont have any problem at the border...Is that true?..Thanks

Ah, now, that may make a big difference. With a job-specific visa, if the holder resigns, then that makes the visa void - no job, no visa any more. I BELIEVE, but am not certain, that with your any-Canterbury-employer visa, you still need to hold a job to keep it in force. I can't find anything on the INZ pages that tells this in detail. You will need to ask INZ this question, and get a very clear answer before you decide anything.

I can understand your wanting to visit home, but it could stand in the way of the NZ future you have been building. Is there no way you could stay employed, on an unpaid, authorised leave of absence (maybe for a bit less time), so as not to 'kill' your visa (if INZ say that is what would happen)?

Ok i see...thats very weird even because IT doesnt say anything anywhere...
    So i have many friends that belives this Is a open Work visa and they quit their job and left nz,off course because if that!!
    Anyway i asked INZ as well and they told me to get a job offert and show IT at the border to come back,but im not very sure of it Also because with a job offert u are still not employed Isnt it?so do u think they can sign a contract from Overseas and come back to nz?

I have Also an other question there Is a certain ammount of time to get an other job after quit the first one?...if i quit my old ones how Long IT taken to make my visa void?...ps this Is an other thing impossible to find on line...please let me know cheers

Strictly, leaving the question of holidays abroad out of the question, you SHOULD get the offer of another skilled job, and start the process of getting your travel conditions changed, or getting a new essential skills visa, before leaving the old job. This is because nobody is allowed to apply for a new visa from within NZ unless they are already covered by a valid visa allowing them to live and work there. If someone has resigned or lost their job, then gets the offer of another skilled job, because their previous visa is no longer valid, they have to ask INZ if they are allowed to apply, under Section 61, and there is no obligation on INZ to say 'yes'. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ection-61-visa

For your questions in the earlier post, I have to say, I don't know. I think it's risky. But you could PM one of the LIAs who post on the forum to ask their opinion.

Ok Thank you !!
    But Is weird that Isnt writteb anywhere about Leave the old job under essential skill visa would void the visa IT self when Isnt stated by employer name written on passport...
    This thing Is tricky amd many ppl Leave nz cuz the think the can visit their family and come back after....

About the job offer one of the agent on the phone told me to do that and Also say to use this letter as prof to get back into nz ..risky or not why would suggest that?
    I dont think Is the case of section 61 for me but Thanks to suggest it!
    Anyway would u be very kind to Give me one of the LIAs name so i can ask directly to him/her?
    Thanks for your time

'Our' LIAs are ChrisMwn and Karen Phillips.