Thread: NZQA for MS Engineering from USA

Default NZQA for MS Engineering from USA

Hello,

Has anyone done the IQA assesment for MS from USA in Engineering. Do they give level 9 or level 8? It deserves level 9 because from all other countries its call MEng and automatically they are exempt and get level 9 and 60 points. However since in USA the MEng is called MS in Engineering, there is a confusion in NZ immigration if it should be level 8 or level 9. I called NZ immigration and they told to do NZQA assesment. But before I do that, can anybody confirm if NZQA gives level 9 for MS Engineering from USA. Since its $746, I want to be sure before applying to NZQA. The PAR i have been reading in forums that they give level 8 which is not correct and accurate.

Thanks

NZQA, when doing an IQA, look at the details of the particular course - what was studied, for how long, to what depth. It is not a blanket thing, like, 'Oh, qualification from the USA, so that is x.' And there is no such thing as automatic exemption - qualifications are on the exempt list if NZQA has checked out the course that ran at that institution for a certain period of time, so they already know what any graduate of that course at that time has studied.

"qualifications are on the exempt list if NZQA has checked out the course" This statement has been left open for challenge by NZQA!

Below is the website showing exempt qualifications BUT its mentioned if candidate thinks their level of education is higher then they can do IQA.
    http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/47119.htm

The website shows Master of Science from USA being level 8, however that's because Master of Science in most other countries is done after Bachelor of science which is 3 year course. However in United states: Engineering degree is also called Master of Science in Engineering which is done after Bachelor of Science in Engineering which is not 3 years course but 4 years course which most countries call Bachelor of Engineering and Master of Engineering including NZ.

Due to this, MS from US in Engineering is equivalent to MEng from India or New-zealand, and is higher value than MSc from Newzealand

In-order to verify that NZQA understands this, I am looking for someone who has done it before being an MS in Engineering from US.

Below is small list of MS programs from USA which are some level 8 while some level 9, depending on depth of study

Master of Science Accountancy, [Level 8]
    Master of Science Architecture [Level 9]
    Master of Science Teaching [Level 8]
    Master of Science Engineering [Level 9]
    Master of Science in Legal Studies [Level 9]
    Master of Science in Music [Level 8]
    Master of Science Public Administration [Level 8]
    Master of Science in Education [Level 8]
    Master of Science in Physician Assistant, M.S.P.A. [Level 8]
    Master of Science Social Work [Level 8]

In-order to verify that NZQA understands this, I am looking for someone who has done it before being an MS in Engineering from US.
    What institution? What year? There may be someone out there who has had it assessed.

I know you're all ready to fight your corner for full recognition of your status. But you're talking here on the forum to a whole lot of members of the public, who are not the people you need to convince.

When applying for a NZ visa, it is necessary to go through INZ, which is a big government bureaucracy. The officials there work the applications by following fixed regulations. It is up to each applicant to present themself, their situation and their qualifications in such a way that it is easy for the CO to tick off the necessary boxes. The CO doesn't go beyond looking at the evidence presented - s/he is not empowered to make judgements wider than, 'Does this evidence meet that regulation?'
    The NZ government has given the job of assessing qualifications to NZQA. This means that, on the question of qualification, the INZ CO will look for EITHER the presence of that qualification from that institution within that date band on the list of exemptions, OR an NZQA assessment (the IQA) showing the require NZ Level, and stating comparability to one of the NZ qualifications on the LTSSL list for that career if bonus points are being claimed. The CO cannot take anything else. If one of those options is not present, they have to count the qualification as not proved, and discount points claimed for it.

There have often been posters on the forum in the past who have argued that parts of INZ regulations are nonsense, or not fair. They may be right, but however right they are makes no difference, because INZ is the means to getting to spend time in NZ, and therefore, each of us has to jump through the INZ hoops - the regulations, as they stand - in a way they can allow, regardless of how we feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohit7 View Post
    Due to this, MS from US in Engineering is equivalent to MEng from India or New-zealand, and is higher value than MSc from Newzealand
    I have no experience with anything engineering. But I do have experience in trying to get qualifications from different countries recognised in other countries, and based on that experience can tell you that the attitude displayed above will get you exactly zilch. Every country thinks their system is superior, every academic institution believes that no other can possibly meet their standards. Showing up with the idea that your degree is of higher value than the one in the country that you would like this recognised will not help at all.

Go by the book, follow the instructions. You want something from them, so for now, you will have to comply with what they want. It is worth asking, it is maybe even worth pointing out specific items on the syllabus that would be similar to the NZ equivalent level you want to achieve, but approach it from a position of being aware that the judgment of what is equivalent to NZ standards is not yours but theirs.

Good luck!

Now I have became the guy who has this issue.

It has been very confusing for people who get their Master of Science in Engineering in USA which is basically a preparation for PhD program. However, I will probably submit IQA assessment no matter what because the urgent timeline.

Hope somebody who has succeeded will give me some comforts.

Thanks

Hi Rohit7,
    Have you succeeded to get your level 9 ?
    And if yes have you provided original degrees and transcripts only or have you had to explain to NZQA why your Master of Science in engineering should be level 9?
    Many thanks.

Rohit7 has not been on the forum since July, so may not see your question.

have you had to explain to NZQA why your Master of Science in engineering should be level 9?
    I know you very much want this qualification to be awarded a Level 9, but this approach will not make it happen. NZQA examine the subject matter of the course, and their decision is based on that, not on any external argument. What dharder said above is exactly right: "It is worth asking, it is maybe even worth pointing out specific items on the syllabus that would be similar to the NZ equivalent level you want to achieve, but approach it from a position of being aware that the judgment of what is equivalent to NZ standards is not yours but theirs."

Yes, I agree with what dharder said of course.
    Just trying to get some comfort from others' experiences

Anyway, IQA application is on the way for hopefully the outcome I desperately need. I got used to waiting now, so another 2 or 3 months is still OK