Thread: Plan to bring partner to NZ, which is the best option?

Default Plan to bring partner to NZ, which is the best option?

A brief history, I have applied SMC last year (2015). In the application, my partnership status was defacto and has included my partner name. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough proof living together so exclude him/her in this application for residence process. I got my Resident approved in April from SMC- JSV.
    Plan to bring my partner by end of the year 2016; the issue is we don’t have any proof of living together back in Malaysia due to many reasons. The plan is to collect evidence of living together and others once he/she is here without any issues.

What is his/her best option?

1- Since Malaysia visa waive (3 months) - Can he/she come as visitor visa, and then extend his/her stay in order to collect evidence before applying partner-sponsored temporary work visa?
    2- Or apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa – before coming to NZ but don’t have enough proof of living.
    3- Visit NZ for 3 months and leave. Visit to nearby country for few days then come back to NZ.
    4- Is there another option.......

1- Since Malaysia visa waive (3 months) - Can he/she come as visitor visa, and then extend his/her stay in order to collect evidence before applying partner-sponsored temporary work visa?
    Yes, holiday, visiting former partner, being the reasons for the visit. ("Look, see and decide", the option about looking for a job, seems to be in doubt at the moment.) If asked, they know they can't work on the visitor's visa, and that any change of plans would need a different visa. Notice, a visitor is expected to be going to leave, so there has to be a return flight ticket, and a home base back in Malaysia. Mention of long-term plans to stay will NOT help the case.
    2- Or apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa – before coming to NZ but don’t have enough proof of living.
    No. There is no chance of a partner-sponsored visa without proof of living together.
    3- Visit NZ for 3 months and leave. Visit to nearby country for few days then come back to NZ.
    I can't see any advantage in this.
    4- Is there another option.......
    No, not that I can see, unless the partner has a skilled career which could earn a visa, separately from the family stream.

I agree with Administrator on points 1-3.

However there are ALWAYS other options:

- he could find work whilst he's visiting NZ (this often happens and is referenced well above in Administrators point 1)
    - he could easily extend his VV & therefore meet E4.5.35 for a partnership work visa some time later
    - he could become a student (the most common option)

Hope this helps