Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Visa - Partner of a New Zealand Citizen/Resident

Default Work Visa - Partner of a New Zealand Citizen/Resident

I am currently on a working holiday visa from Hungary and my partner is an Australian citizen, therefore a resident. I'd like to apply for a Work Visa with his support. I have a few questions regarding this.

1. How far back must we prove evidence for our relationship for? The longer the better obviously, but what is considered an acceptable length for stable relationship?

2. As far as I understood from other forum threads, for this visa type you don't have to live together for 12 months or more. However, what is the minimum accepted time frame of living together (from experience)?

3. Is it ok if the living together is in a house where other flatmates are living also?

4. How long does it take for the application to process?

5. Does it make a difference what country I'm from?

Thank you for your help in advance.

1 and 2. About three months for a partnership work visa, 12 months minimum for partnership residence.

3. Yes, as long as you have solid evidence from e.g. the landlord and/or the other housemates that you are living as a couple within that accommodation - shared room, etc..

4. See "processing times" on the INZ website (enter it in the query bit up the top) for their best guess. But once your visa is lodged, you would get an interim visa keeping you legal if your existing visa runs out before they have finished processing your application.

5. No, not usually.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    1 and 2. About three months for a partnership work visa, 12 months minimum for partnership residence.

3. Yes, as long as you have solid evidence from e.g. the landlord and/or the other housemates that you are living as a couple within that accommodation - shared room, etc..

4. See "processing times" on the INZ website (enter it in the query bit up the top) for their best guess. But once your visa is lodged, you would get an interim visa keeping you legal if your existing visa runs out before they have finished processing your application.

5. No, not usually.
    I recently had a work visa approved for a partner of a NZ Citizen, who had been living together for a month only. They had good evidence of their relationship prior to that, including some joint travel.
    The visa was initially issued for only 6 months but that is good time to gather further relationship evidence and living together in NZ.
    I plan to lodge the residence application shortly, so well before they have lived together for 12 months, on the basis that whilst 12 months is required for residence to be approved, its not required to lodge, and applications for residecne still currently taking 6-9 months.

Country of citizenship of applicant does matter, if you are from a visa waiver country that's likely to mean that there is less evidence required (and time together) than would be required for a "risk" country.

'

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    I recently had a work visa approved for a partner of a NZ Citizen, who had been living together for a month only. They had good evidence of their relationship prior to that, including some joint travel.
    The visa was initially issued for only 6 months but that is good time to gather further relationship evidence and living together in NZ.
    I plan to lodge the residence application shortly, so well before they have lived together for 12 months, on the basis that whilst 12 months is required for residence to be approved, its not required to lodge, and applications for residecne still currently taking 6-9 months.

Country of citizenship of applicant does matter, if you are from a visa waiver country that's likely to mean that there is less evidence required (and time together) than would be required for a "risk" country.

'
    This is so hopeful in our case Chris.

I am currently on a work visa partnership and I supplied about 3 or 4 months of evidence living together and lots and lots of solid relationship evidence (were together 6 months) including joint travel and savings account. We lived in shared accom too and just provided bill for both of us. My application was processed really quickly and took 2 days to be approved in christchurch. I believe this was because the first application failed lodgement as my kiwi partners passport mysteriously was not in the package (it very certainly was) and we had to pay for a new passport. We mentioned this when we dropped off the application the second time in person and asked them to confirm both passports were there this time. They said that they couldnt hurry this up but like I said it took 2 days to be approved and was a 12 month visa.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=Helen303;540100]I am currently on a work visa partnership and I supplied about 3 or 4 months of evidence living together and lots and lots of solid relationship evidence (were together 6 months) including joint travel and savings account. We lived in shared accom too and just provided bill for both of us. My application was processed really quickly and took 2 days to be approved in christchurch. I believe this was because the first application failed lodgement as my kiwi partners passport mysteriously was not in the package (it very certainly was) and we had to pay for a new passport. We mentioned this when we dropped off the application the second time in person and asked them to confirm both passports were there this time. They said that they couldnt hurry this up but like I said it took 2 days to be approved and was a 12 month visa.

Good luck![/QUOTE

Our is 2 months and 1 week. With lots of solid evidence too. How long have you been into a relationship excluding the living together?
    What places did you spend living together? Just one residence?

We were together 6 months and lived together 3 of those one shared residence in queenstown then moved to our own place in christchurch.

How long have you been in the relationship?

Thank you guys for the answers, I might check back with other questions if unsure about anything.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast