Thread: Resident visa - parent category tier 1

Question Resident visa - parent category tier 1

Hi there.

We recently received ITA to apply for resident visa for my parents whom I'm sponsoring.

I heard from an immigration officer that my parents would need to hold the resident visa for 5 years(after granted) before they can apply for permanent resident visa. I thought they could apply for PR after holding resident visa for two years..?

I also heard that the amount of days spent in NZ is not so important in first 3 years but the last 2 years of 5 years is what the immigration case officer will look at the most. is this the case?

Thank you.

well if they said 5 years then it should be 5 years. Is it written on your email?

I heard from an immigration officer that my parents would need to hold the resident visa for 5 years(after granted) before they can apply for permanent resident visa. I thought they could apply for PR after holding resident visa for two years..?

I also heard that the amount of days spent in NZ is not so important in first 3 years but the last 2 years of 5 years is what the immigration case officer will look at the most. is this the case?
    This is all correct. The parent resident visas have five years' travel conditions, hence the longer time before they can go for PR. And yes, as for everybody else, the two years immediately before application for PR are what counts when showing commitment to NZ - INZ count backwards from the date of application.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This is all correct. The parent resident visas have five years' travel conditions, hence the longer time before they can go for PR. And yes, as for everybody else, the two years immediately before application for PR are what counts when showing commitment to NZ - INZ count backwards from the date of application.
    Thank you JandM, i called the immigration again and they repeated the same thing.

Cheers