Thread: Help.. Partnership proof after falling pregnant on whv

Default Help.. Partnership proof after falling pregnant on whv

Hi,
    I arrived in NZ from the UK on a working holiday visa on 1/10/15 and started my job on 10/10/15. As my visa expires in October I started thinking about visa options, my job offered me sponsorship in April to apply for an essential skills work visa. By the time I collected a medical certificate, X-rays, police clearance and all other relevant info it was the end of June and I have been so distracted that I have only just got around to submitting my visa this week. In March I started a relationship with a NZ resident, we knew it was very serious from the beginning and talked about marriage, family etc. He moved in with me at the beginning of June (only me on tenancy agreement) and today I found out I am pregnant. I have made numerous calls to immigration, department of health and spent the whole day on the internet but I still can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for so hoping for some help here...
    My intention was always to stay in NZ permanently - WHV, work visa then residence.
    As its so early I could always send off the visa and in 1/2 months time change my circumstances but I don't want to submit my work visa this week and lie about not being pregnant and run the risk of being caught out - if i add pregnant and my due date - 24/3/17 on to my visa application it asks for proof that I will be entitled to publicly funded healthcare. What counts as evidence for this?? (If I had a work visa approved a work visa on top of my working holiday I will qualify myself as it will be a total of more than 2 years in NZ. As a partner of a NZ resident I also qualify if I can gather sufficient evidence) - is there a document I should attach or would a letter stating my circumstances suffice?
    Also as I've only been with my partner for 4 months will I have enough evidence to class him as my partner? we are in a committed relationship, plan on marrying and are obviously going to be having a child but don't have a shared bank account, tenancy agreement, insurance etc.
    It is very early days in the pregnancy (5 weeks) so there is a chance I will not make the full term so all of this could be irrelevant.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as you can imagine I am a bag of emotions at the thought of leaving NZ.
    Thank you in advance

Also as I've only been with my partner for 4 months will I have enough evidence to class him as my partner?

You mean you have been living with your partner in a residence you maintain together for the past 4 months or you are just in a committed relationship for 4 months?

Hello, rosieapples. Congratulations!

You're the partner of a NZ resident, so you qualify for maternity care, and as he declares he's the father of your child, that child is going to be born a NZ citizen, which also qualifies you. As far as INZ is concerned, for the visa application, in your place I would mention the circumstances in a covering letter, and include a letter from your partner which says he's your partner, now living with you, and the father of your child.

As you're presumably going to be wanting to get a partner-sponsored visa at some time, though it's not so urgent as you're being sponsored for Essential Skills for yourself now, you definitely need to start getting together the formal proof needed by INZ for that sort of visa. Start setting up situations, taking photos, collecting mail and envelopes, etc. etc. - see the old threads for discussion and ideas. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof

To apply for a partner-sponsored work visa, we know from experience that INZ take seriously applications with 2 - 3 months' evidence of living together. For a residence visa, 12 months' evidence is needed.

But for your purposes now, there is no requirement set out for ALL the particular partnership proofs at once, and the fact of your pregnancy and your partner's statement of fatherhood and proof of his eligibility for use of the NZ health service probably tick the box for the work visa application. The Guide https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1016.pdf has this at C5:

You should
    attach evidence that you meet the criteria to be eligible for publicly funded maternity services if
    the evidence is not already available to us (for example – evidence of partnership or your partner’s
    eligibility for publicly funded health services
    ).
    (my bolding)

In case they then ask for more solid proof of partnership, you have a bit of time in hand to make sure there is something to show them - friends, colleagues and neighbours will know when your partner changed his address, his employer presumably has that as his address on record, and you as his emergency contact (or get it done retrospectively), his bank, and doctor and mobile phone provider and the tax authorities and any other official bodies he has dealings with. Get these set up, and get collecting.

Good luck.

Thank you so much JandM for your detailed and extremely helpful reply! Definitely took a little bit of the stress away

Together since March, living together since the beginning of June

all the best rosieapples.