Thread: Deciding where to stay

Default Deciding where to stay

Hi All.

I'm new to the forum and in the early stages of planning a year long trip to NZ with the possibility of making it permanent if it goes well. I have already fallen in love with the scenery and wildlife through books, documentaries and online. I'm currently considering moving to Dunedin. However, I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on where is good to stay, based on things like outdoor activities (ideally quite close to Ski resorts to allow me to go occasionally through winter), cost of living, relatively big population (doesn't have to be huge) and an area with potential for getting work quite easily. Looking forward to hearing back from some people and hope my questions/statements haven't been too vague

Diarm

You could do a lot worse than Dunedin. It's a student town so plenty of cheap(ish) accommodation, house shares and so on. Quite a few hours to the nearest ski resort I think but plenty of outdoors stuff available - beaches, tramping etc. Decent size place so work should be available. It's east coast so relatively dry and gets a good number of sunny days throughout the year.

I think the climate is nice in Dunedin; not that much rain, moderate temeratures, ...
    edit: only what I have read about it (wikipedia)

You might be interested in the wunderground website https://www.wunderground.com/nz/dunedin, where, if you go to the 'History' section (bottom left), you can look up exact details of what the weather has been doing on every day, all through the seasons. (Of course, you can put in other places, too.)

Thanks everyone Being Scottish weather isn't too much of an Issue. Dunedin seems like my favourite option currently.

Hi, having been in Dunedin for nearly two years now, I can recommend it, especially based on the things you mentioned. It takes about 3.5 hours to get to Queenstown ski fields, so easily doable for weekend, although not cheap. Also lots to see and do in Dunedin and nearby. If you want to know anything specific, just ask

no real snow anywhere this year. better staying in South island if you want a longer ski season.

Dunedin is a nice place to live. I think at last you will consider living there. :-)