Thread: Partner points for skilled employment

Default Partner points for skilled employment

Hello

my partner and I are about to submit our EOI. Can he - he is the principal applicant - claim 20 points for my skilled employment in NZ if I'm self-employed and working only part time?

Many thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Simi

Hi there. Yes, the partner of a principal applicant who is doing a skilled work is awarded 20 bonus points.

Quote Originally Posted by gcapd View Post
    Hi there. Yes, the partner of a principal applicant who is doing a skilled work is awarded 20 bonus points.
    NO NO NO NO>
    SM10.10 Award of points
    A partner's offer of skilled employment or current skilled employment in New Zealand only qualifies for points under this provision if:

the partner's offer of skilled employment or current skilled employment meets the requirements for 'skilled employment' as set out in SM7; and
    the principal applicant's partner is included in the application; and
    the partner meets the English language requirements for principal applicants (see SM5.15); and
    an immigration officer is satisfied that the principal applicant and their partner have been living together for 12 months or more in a partnership that is genuine and stable (see F2.10.1) and otherwise meets criteria for Partnership Category (see F2.15).

Skilled employment only qualifies for points if the employment is:
    full time (employment is full-time if it amounts to, on average, at least 30 hours per week); and
    genuine; and
    for a position that is paid by salary or wages or in terms of a contract for service (payment by commission and/or retainer are not acceptable)

Ooopppsss...
    I am sorry for the wrong information.
    Yes Chris is right.

Oh that's bad news... This means we only have 135 points now so we don't get automatically selected, right?

without a job offer,...correct

Well he has been working in a skilled full time job in Tauranga for over a year now. But all in all we only have 135 points... He however hasn't assessed his qualifications because we though we'll have enough points without that (we were counting on my skilled employment). What would you suggest we do now - submit our EOI as it is or get his qualifications assessed first?

With a skilled job, he only needs 100 points to get his EOI selected.

He'll have to show he has the necessary qualifications for the job, though, either actual qualifications or work experience, as stated in the List of Skilled Occupations and/or ANZSCO. http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ So if it's not equivalent work experience he's using, and his qualification doesn't appear in the INZ list of qualifications exempt from qualification, it will need to be assessed (getting IQA). And that has to be done before putting in the EOI, since the result has to be listed on the form.

Thank you so much JandM and Chris, you've been very helpful!!